20 interesting cat facts
| There are many different types and kinds of cats out there in this big world in which we all share and live in. There are Lions, Tigers, Bobcats, Panthers, and Mountain Lions to name just a few. However this piece is dedicated to the cat specie that is commonly kept as a household pet. I thought I would take this opportunity and explore some of the interesting facts that surround our furry little feline friend. Not everyone is a big fan of the domesticated cat, but for those who are here's 20 interesting facts about our friend the cat that you may or may not have known. Cats have been around for a very long time, and you may just be surprised to hear some of this information.
1. Cats have been bred for thousands of years.
2. The heaviest cat in the world weighed in at more than 46 pounds.
3. Cats really don't have those 9 lives.
4. A cats hearing is more sensitive than a dog's hearing.
5. More than 30% of all households in North America have a pet cat.
6. Félicette was the first cat ever to be sent to space. She was sent by the French space program in October of 1963.
7. A felinologist is a person who studies cats.
8. Cats dislike the smell of citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges, and grapefruits.
9. A cat's sense of smell is up to 14 times stronger than a human's.
10. A brain of a cat is more similar to a man's brain than that of a dog's brain.
11. A cat has more bones than a human in their little body.
12. The first true cats came into existence about 12 million years ago.
13. Cats were introduced by the Pilgrims in North America.
14. The life expectancy of a household cat today is at an average of 16 years.
15. Close to ten percent of all of a cat's bones are in its tail, which helps the cat maintain it's balance.
16. The first formal cat show was held in the United States of America in 1895.
17. The household cat has been domesticated for about as half as long as the dog.
18. There are approximately 100 breeds of cat, which include breeds like the revered Siamese cat.
19. Six-toed kittens are so common in Boston and surrounding areas of Massachusetts that experts consider it an established mutation.
20. Cat litter was invented back in 1947 when dried granulated clay was used to sop up grease spills in factories.
Lilli's 50-word story contest using the words: cat, war, Monday, and kibbles on 4/27/20.
"This is a true story"
It was a normal Monday morning, and Tinker the cat was chowing down on his daily portion kibbles. Tinker is over 20 years old and I think his memory sometimes goes, because he forgets that he has food in his bowl.
Later on that fateful day he dashed off to the liter box to make a deposit. However this particular time he had a little accident on the way and totally missed the target making a mess all over the floor. When Tinker's owner came later, and she discovered the mess it was total war! The End.