*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2213039-Valentine
Rated: E · Fiction · Romance/Love · #2213039
Flash fiction
“Are you hiding something from me?"

"No, Mummy." Hands behind his back, Jake sidle over to his sister, Sara. Something definitely passed behind them. Rosey appeared at the door and then backed out again.

"What's going on here?"

"Nnnothing." Guilty looks all round.

Rosey reappeared all innocent now. "Is Daddy home yet?"

"No, but he should be here any minute." Looks passed between the three. "Ah, there's the door."

The large bunch of red roses were the first thing to come through the door, followed by my loving husband, Ray. He was struggling to keep a huge, heart-shaped box of chocolates under his arm, while manhandling two supermarket bags.

"Dad," Jake whispered. Ray put down the shopping and Jake passed something to him surreptitiously. Each of the girls also hid something.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Sweetheart." I took the flowers and put them in the sink with some water. The chocs were placed on the counter. Rosey produced a bottle of champagne from behind her back. Sara's secret was a homemade card. So what had Jake been hiding?

I didn't have to wait long to find out. "Sweetheart, we've been together thirteen years now," He got down on one knee, "And the kids and I thought ..." A small box appeared in his hand. "... it's about time we got hitched." The box contained a simple diamond ring. "So, will you?"

228 words
© Copyright 2020 Odessa Molinari (omstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2213039-Valentine