*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2214038-Brexit-Britain
Rated: E · Fiction · Community · #2214038
Flash Fiction
Janine struggled to get the pram through the shop door. Nathan followed behind holding on to Suki's hand. Imran watched the little family as Janine put a small white loaf in the basket. "Can we have Jam on it?" Nathan asked.

"We can't afford that," Janine whispered. She picked up six eggs then looked in her purse and put them back. Nathan picked up a 2 litre carton of milk. Janine shook her head and he replaced it with the half litre one. Three small potatoes entered the basket.

"Nanana" Suki shrieked.

"We can't afford that." Janine hated those words but ...

She struggled to the till, put the basket on the counter and tipped the contents of her purse beside it. Imran bagged up the shopping, scooped up the small change, then produced two more carriers and passed them to Janine. "We can't afford that," Janine said hanging her head.

"Children are our future, they must not go hungry. We can't afford that. Salaam al Aikum"

166 words
© Copyright 2020 Odessa Molinari (omstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2214038-Brexit-Britain