*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2224712-Not-Quite-Romeo-and-Juliet
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2224712
Short and sweet love story with a twist
         Once, there was a common area between two kingdoms. Members of the opposing kingdoms often met in a town square common to both. People of both the nobility and the poorer subjects all congregated together in this square.

         A young scout had his eye on the lady across the square. He continuously tried to approach her, yet always managed to be chased away by knights. She was one of only two ladies in the square, and dressed in an elaborate, black gown.

         After having been chased away for the umpteenth time, he resolved that he would not rest until he could get to her. He advanced, only to be threatened by another scout. He moved away before the opposing scout could come at him. He approached an enemy bishop and attempted to attack him, but the bishop got out of the way just in time.

         After some time, most of the other subjects had left the square, leaving the scout plenty of space to approach his query. She stood at the edge of the square, glaring at him.

         The scout approached the lady and took her hand, attempting to kiss it. "What do you want?" she demanded.

         "I only want your love," he answered.

         "You fool! Can't you see I'm married to the King?" She swept across the board and displaced the scout, sending him into the box with the other captured chess pieces.

         "Don't worry, old chap," said a white knight in the box. "Tomorrow is another game."
© Copyright 2020 The Puppet Master (puppetmaster84 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2224712-Not-Quite-Romeo-and-Juliet