*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2237607-A-Hopeful-Prospect
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2237607
A couple begins a new chapter... (With excessive cheesiness)
They sat side by side, watching the fading glimmer of the sunset. It had been a wonderful day, full of magic and excitement. She had brought a picnic lunch, and after hiking up the seaside cliff, they had fallen upon it with delight. He, meanwhile, had smuggled in a bottle of wine and was preparing for what he imagined would be a two-sided celebration.

Yet, as the daylight disappeared, a solemn tone filled the darkening space that stretched around the two lovers. The time for more serious conversation was upon them.

“I’ve been thinking...” she began, her words a precipice overlooking what the man imagined could only be one possibility. His heart thudded against his chest in anticipation, and his hand inched toward the zippered space in his backpack.

“These past few years with you have been... life-changing,” she sighed happily, then turned her eyes away from the sea to catch his gaze. “I can only hope you feel as I do...that it’s time to begin a new chapter.” She smiled shyly, and then it was her turn to rustle around in her bag.

He was giddy with excitement but still approached cautiously.

“I know we’ve only been living together a year now, but if you’re ready to take that step, then so am I” he replied hesitantly, mimicking her smile. She turned around to face him once more with something clenched in her hand and returned his excitement with a realization of her own.

“Oh, that’s wonderful! I’m so glad we’re on the same page. I've been thinking about this for a while, and... now I think is the right time to expand our family - officially.”

“Exactly,” he replied, “so... how about we show each other our future on the count of three since we both have something for show-and-tell...”. She laughed, and then counted down.

“Alright, 1, 2, 3-” They opened their hands to reveal their objects and simultaneously shrieked.

“Is that-?”

“I thought-”

“Oh no.”

Panic flashed across the man’s face, and he hurriedly stuffed the ring case back in the backpack with the sudden desire to throw himself into the sea and never be seen again. On the other side of the picnic blanket, the woman held a crumpled picture of a Shetland Sheepdog loosely in her hand, her mouth in a perfect “O.”

Their shock was palpable.
© Copyright 2020 Wintersage (seabrieze at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2237607-A-Hopeful-Prospect