*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255115-A-Whole-Dollar------WC-467
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #2255115
The Writer's Cramp 7/22/21


A Whole Dollar

“Tell me, what will you do with a dollar bill?” Dad asked Julie.

Julie looked at the bill in her hand. Grandma sent it to her in a birthday card. She’d never received this before. Money had always come in shiny little round metal things.

“I don’t know. I never had a dollar bill before.”

“You don’t have to decide today. Take your time. It’s a big decision for an eight-year-old.”

Dad left Julie with her card and her dollar bill. Time to start dinner. Mom would be home soon.

Julie took the gift to her room. She sat on her bed, surrounded by all her animals.

“So, what should I do? Dad says this is a big decision. I don’t know what to do with this much money from Grandma. What do you guys think?”

Julie laid down on Mister Jingles, the monkey. Perry the owl stood nearby, Harry the hound and Fluffy the cat laid on top of Bison. Miss Princess sat on the dresser, overlooking them all.

First to speak was Miss Princess. “I think you should buy lots of glitter. We will spread glitter all over this castle. Then buy a unicorn. I want to ride a unicorn.”

Perry interrupted. “Listen missy, no unicorns. They are trouble. And glitter? I’m allergic to that stuff. It gets in my feathers. Have you ever tried to get that out of feathers? Impossible…”

Bison and Fluffy agreed by shaking their heads. Harry the hound brayed to be heard.

“Mom and Dad say you have too many stuffies. So no unicorns, Miss Princess. We have to obey the rules or we may all have to leave, right Julie?”

Julie laid and thought of all the ways to spend this dollar bill. Unicorns and glitter didn’t sound like good ideas.

“What about candy? I can get some candy.”

“You know you can’t get candy. The dentist will get mad. Plus mom and dad will have to pay for that. Think again,” whispered Mister Jingles.

Julie thought and thought. After a little time, she emerged from her bedroom in time for dinner.

“Okay Dad. I’m going to give my gift from Grandma to the little boy down the street,” Julie announced.

Dad glanced up from chopping celery for the soup. “Oh really? And why is that?”

“Well, he doesn’t have much. I have lots.”

“You are very generous. Good idea. Why don’t you put it in a card. He’s been sick, you know. A get-well card.”

Julie smiled, ran to her room and got down the paper, glitter, glue, and markers. Soon a card was created and headed down the street to Mike.

Mom came home to soup and John.

“Where’d Julie go?”

“She’s out delivering a smile to Mike down the street.”
© Copyright 2021 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255115-A-Whole-Dollar------WC-467