*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2257760-New-crime-fiction-book-launched
Rated: E · Bulletin · Crime/Gangster · #2257760
Breaking new ground as the first crime writing anthology of its kind.

There are riddles, red herrings, and false suspects in a new crime fiction book uniquely co-authored by established and emerging writers from all over the globe. Breaking new ground as the first crime writing anthology of its kind, ‘The Whole Wide World’ (Sweetycat Press; ISBN 979-8450568317) features episodes from 80 authors trying to solve an intriguing mystery of international espionage.

The newly-released detective book was written and produced during a time when most of the world’s 7.9 billion population have been under Covid-19 pandemic lockdowns, stay-at-home orders or cross-broader travel restrictions. However, armchair travellers and avid sleuths can follow the twists and turns of a transnational manhunt crisscrossing the globe in ‘The Whole Wide World’ (https://www.amazon.com/WHOLE-WORLD.../dp/B09DD9NC1Y/ref) available in 390-page paperback (US$14.99) and ebook (US$4.99) versions from 1 September 2021.

Called in to help solve one of the greatest heists ever pulled off, Detective Curly Knucklewad and his assistant Wanda Wowzer pursue leads and clues in search of the thief who stole a secret recipe from a San Francisco lab.

Sweetycat Press publisher and editor Steve Carr wanted the experimental project to highlight not just the 80 authors selected for inclusion in the book, but also diverse settings throughout the planet. “The book is really a global initiative, with contributing authors from 18 countries around the world, including the United States, Australia, India, and Canada, as well as the Maldives, Nigeria, Israel, and Mexico. As a result, ‘The Whole Wide World’ takes readers on a journey to nearly two dozen nations, as well as under-water, back to the 1970s, and to the final frontier: outer space.’

Mr Carr says although contributors were given a short brief with just two main characters and the master plot, and the book was compiled in the order the submissions were received, suspense is maintained throughout the novel. “Each chapter has a unique location, with every author bringing their own fresh perspective, voice and tone to the manhunt. The parts range from comic to chilling. Even though the locations jump around from one episode to the next, incredibly each instalment builds anticipation and follows on from the previous part, with the storyline remaining consistent.”

Authors selected for the anthology include award-winning detective writers, lawyers, TV news correspondents, college English professors, and creative writing teachers. Among the contributors are a former military intelligence officer, a Vietnam War Top Secret counter-insurgency writer and press agency photographer, and a stand-up comedian from New York.
For some contributors, such as Myanmar’s San Lin Tun, English is not their first language. “With around two billion people speaking or reading English, I am pleased to have my work and my location represented in this global project. Many of the original Sherlock Holmes stories were adapted and translated into Burmese language in the 1930s, so in placing my episode of the crime caper in Myanmar, I am following in the footsteps of that tradition. I have always wanted to write Yangon Noir, and this anthology gives me a chance to showcase it.”

The short action-packed episodes of ‘The Whole Wide World’ will appeal not only to crime fiction readers but also to aspiring authors, creative writing students, and those who find time only to read one or two books a year, says travel writer and 3D printing expert Christopher Winnan, author of ‘Around the World in Eighty Documentaries’.

"This new book about an international manhunt is a great idea, and in this post-pandemic world, it shows the value of co-operation and collaboration beyond borders, as well as the value of armchair travel in exploring the world in a more sustainable, zero-carbon way. ’The World Wide World’ joins the list of ‘must-reads’ for 2021 for any stay-at-home sleuth-hound, amateur private investigator or wannabe gumshoe.’

‘The Whole Wide World’ publisher Virginia-based Sweetycat Press (www.Sweetycatpress.com) was founded in 2020 to support and encourage new writers, and each year produces a Who’s Who of Emerging Writers. With some of the biggest names in crime fiction failing to make the cut and new debut authors among those shortlisted for the Scottish McIlvanny Prize this week, Mr Carr believes readers might discover some exciting new talent in the pages of ‘The Whole Wide World’, even if they don’t solve the case with Detective Curly Knucklewad.

“Readers are fascinated by the characters, the tension of their relationships, and the unresolved mystery, as well as the broader themes of intellectual property theft, the quest for answers, and ultimately, human nature.”

Since it was launched this month, ’The Whole Wide World’ has already become a best-seller on Amazon, ranking among the top 50,000 books ever published.

ENDS

Contacts:
Steve Carr, Sweetycat Press, sweetycatpress@gmail.com
Keith Lyons, keithalyons@gmail.com

Author contacts available on request.
Media interviews are available on request.

Links for photos:
Front cover: https://ibb.co/vQMx7KK
Back blurb: https://ibb.co/s6v96RQ
Back cover: https://ibb.co/QP8Tdb0
Steve Carr: https://ibb.co/KVRqfBT

Video promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLbCqXYMy0s
© Copyright 2021 Happysheep (happysheep at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2257760-New-crime-fiction-book-launched