*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277970-Acknowledgement-Of-Country
Rated: E · Bulletin · Cultural · #2277970
A counter-narrative to Woke assumed indigenous claims against modern land tenements
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY




Forward


In recent years in Australia, whenever there is a public meeting, particularly of an official nature, it has become increasingly customary to acknowledge indigenous original ownership of the land on which the meeting is being held. It usually takes the following form: “We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we gather, the Whadjuk people of Noongar Boodjar. We recognize their continued connection to the land and waters of this beautiful place, and acknowledge that they never ceded sovereignty. We respect all Whadjuk Elders and Ancestors, and any First Nations people here today.”

By acknowledging the enduring custodianship of the designated indigenous group, we are asked to admit that modern era colonization did not expunge it and that by implication, that they have an enduring legitimate claim on it, which by way of emphasis, they never ceded.

Firstly the colonial notion of terra nullius (nobody's land) did not suggest that Australia was unoccupied, but that the land ownership tenements that were first established by neolithic villagers 5-10,000 years ago, rendered earlier wanderments as no longer recognized or legitimate, because they had been rendered obsolete and redundant by more productive, knowledge intensive and technically elaborate methodology, and precisely measured boundaries of private ownership that were eventually codified into written documentation.

Secondly, it is an ideological fiction that indigenous groups had the necessary political organization to cede anything to anyone in the way that the Māori did in New Zealand, where they had tribal hierarchies and chiefs who could negotiate with the European colonial power a treaty like the one signed at Waitangi in 1840. (It should also be noted that at the time, the Maori outnumbered Europeans 40 to 1, were heavily armed with muskets they knew how to militarily deploy, were depended upon to provide European settlers with both food supply and maritime transport....and Maori all spoke the same language, which meant the inter ethnic dynamics and negotiations were totally different to what was going on over the ditch.)

Thirdly, the notion that indigenous bands were in any sense 'nations' is a misappropriation of an entirely European originated idea whose demographic scale and institutional elaboration caricatures its use when applied to them. The mockery of such ethnic misuse seems to have escaped its users.

Such ritualistic statements have been almost entirely driven by Woke activists, and most of the rest of us in our communities have dutifully and politely gone along with it, as much as anything because any demur would almost certainly attract condemnation as a 'bigoted racist'. And no matter how unjust that might be, it adds weight to quite natural 'diplomatic' instincts to indulge the fantasies of others, not to want to 'make a fuss' or be seen to be 'difficult'.

That silence, unfortunately, has given the impression of acquiescence, which has further emboldened and fed the ideological conceit of the Woke. And since around 2015, this has become more problematic, as The Woke have become more aggressive, militant, intolerant and debate dismissive in their attacks, on not just our civilizational narratives, but sexual reproductive ones as well.

The time has therefore come where if one does not agree with Woke 'Acknowledgements Of Country', one is increasingly obliged to register some kind of dissent, to the extent of saying something to the effect that, 'In this matter, you do not speak for me'. That at least breaks the silence and the illusion of consent, even if only to the power of one, which may or may not give others the courage to break theirs. Without such leadership and preparedness to take a reputational risk and gamble it in public, The Woke version of history will prevail, as it already does in the reified postmodernist indoctrination centers to be found in our universities, which is all that is left of the once Enlightenment inspired humanities.

My view is that one needs to do more than just demur. One needs to provide a counter narrative that others can gather round to proudly share in its illumination, so that we are not merely on the defensive, but re-asserting and revalidating our cultural traditions and the immense value that the colonial experience brought to the modern world, in building a better life for more people than our species has ever before achieved.

This is not a call to go out of one's way to antagonize people, but in order to galvanize ourselves out of a culture of silence and a false Woke hegemonism, this may be unavoidable.

So be it. This is my country and I will fight for it if I have to.




Meeting Acknowledgement:


I recognize that we live on land tenements that over millennia have globally rendered all older land uses and claims obsolete and redundant.

I further acknowledge modern era migrant settlers as the first citizens of what has become the Australian nation state and recognize that they have had a unique relationship with this land and its resources, transforming it into a vast food bowl and industrial materials supplier, making possible the modern way of life we now enjoy.

I offer my respectful thanks and gratitude to the modern founders of my country for their British legacy of democratic governance and the rule of law, that is the envy of the world and a beacon of hope to anyone who wants to build a better life.




Australian Citizenship Ceremony Declaration



Recognition:


Modern migrants built this land
On modern tenements
Measurable, recordable, tradable and settlable
o’retopping all older uses and claims
Long redundant and obsolete.



Acknowledgement


Modern migrants built this land
From bands to nationhood
wilderness to domestication
Wanderment to settlement
Subsistance to food bowl
Scraping to mining
Just enough to mass production
Memorization to knowledge systems
Superstition to science
This they made.



Gratitude:


British founders built this land
The rule of law and civil rights
Its democratic governance
And industry
A beacon born of hope
The envy of the world
A source of gratitude
For all who enter here
Bent on citizenship,
Ambition
And honest toil.




Conclusion




None of this is to suggest that earlier populations on this island continent of Australia weren't competent at running a very early iteration of human society. They were good at what they did, as one is if one has been doing more or less the same things for up to 65,000 years, as our own Mesolithic ancestors would have been, 5-8,000 years ago, before they were absorbed/overrun by later and far more elaborate, specialized and intensive means of production and exchange.

The pre-existing social, cultural and economic licenses of the Mesolithic population that had serendipitously survived into modern times as result of its extremely isolated geographic location and hostile coastline approaches to the North and West of the island continent, would be instantly cancelled the moment anyone with the capacity to sustainably project maritime power into the Far South Pacific, found coastline and hinterlands suitable for pastoral and agricultural production.

The existing inhabitants of what eventually became Australia were sitting ducks waiting for the disruptive history of the rest of the world to eventually catch up with them.

And that ancient population can thank its lucky stars that it wasn't the ferocious Maori, or the Confucian Chinese, Hindu-Buddhist kingdoms, Muslim Arabs, Christian Portuguese, Spanish or Dutch who got there first, or later, the Japanese Imperial Armed Forces. The British and the French, who fought for global dominance, and indirectly Australia, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, were the best incomers they could have possibly hoped for. More, the British win at Trafalgar meant no inter-colonial wars in Australia, as there had been in North America.

We can all be grateful that the Americans came to our common rescue from the Japanese killing machine in 1942, where mass murder was standard operating practice. I doubt that our ancient people would have lasted long under its watch.

The old populations of Australia have much to be grateful for, if they could muster their resources and make the necessary journey of cultural modernization, as almost everyone in the rest of the world has had to do, that would allow them to access the enormous opportunities this country offers and for which people risk their lives to get here to access them.

It is time that the Woke 'Sorry Story' invasion narrative went into the dustbin of history, along with the regime social ascendancy and pillar of Indulgence Capitalism that peddles it; i.e., its reactionary and uncritical sympathy for atavistic traditionalism; its ongoingly indulgent and self-defeating values that help underpin and maintain the dysfunctional status quo; and its use of the ideologically infantile helpless victim meme and the blame shifting 'naughty capitalism' trope, that continue, against all reason, to disempower and deny responsible agency that might solve the problems it purports to want to solve.

© Copyright 2022 Christopher Eastman-Nagle (kiffit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277970-Acknowledgement-Of-Country