*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283489-Pie-Day
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2283489
Flash Fiction
Pie Day

I was determined to win the pie contest that year. I didn’t even need to win first prize, I just had to win over Janice.

We grew up together, she lived two houses down. But she was always the “in” girl and I was always the “not good enough” girl, to her group anyway. Moving out of town was one of my higher goals in life then. Apparently, I shouldn’t have married the future Mayor, but who knew sweet, corny Kevin was going to turn out so darn smart, and run for office one day.

I was doing fine until our kids got into school together and I had to see her practically every day or quit volunteering at the school.

As volunteers we both loved our kids too much to let our former relationship get in the way, and add our girls were best friends! But the bake off... she had won every year since the girls were in preschool, and I was determined to win this time, for old time’s sake.

The contest was about to start so I headed over, wondering where the girls were, but not worried. As I got to the pie table, I saw them. Both had all their fingers in one of the pie plates! I rushed over, thinking please let it be Janice’s! And it was! But it was their second pie, and guess whose plate was the first...

They said they thought the pies were ours because they could read the names now... Janice showed up just then, but how could we punish them for reading their own names???

It ended the feud forever. Janice and I are real friends now, thirty years and counting. When people ask how long we’ve been friends, we both always say, “Since Pieday.”
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283489-Pie-Day