*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283543-the-white-room
Rated: XGC · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2283543
two strangers find themselves in a nightmare.
when we woke up inside the room, we had no idea of what awaited us. we didn't even know each other, for that matter. but we woke up together, sitting down on the floor, back to back, our arms tied behind our backs.

"where am i?! who are you?!"

"what's going on?!"

in our panic, we tried to free ourselves; we managed little more than hitting our heads and running out of breath.

"hold on, let me try something." not without difficulty, i managed to untie the rope around our wrists.

"gah... thank you. i think it'll be easier to untie the other rope now."

still sitting down, we both tried to untie our other arms as well, but something was wrong.

"where's the rope...? scratch that, where's my hand?! or yours?! i can't find any of these!!"

"neither can i! what the fuck's going on, then?! why can't we...?!"

"wait, let's try to stand up. maybe that'll help." and as soon as we managed to stand up and look around, we saw our arms fused together at the wrists.

we were silent for a very long time. we didn't move, either. there was no denying what we could see in front of us, and there was no denying that something strange was going on. not only were our arms fused, they could still move and feel together.

as we looked around, trying to find answers, we instead found out that the entire room had no doors or windows. the ceiling above seemed to stretch infinitely.

"... is this a prank of some kind? is this a joke?"

"how did we get here?"

as we turned around, taking in the place, a table appeared right next to us. a sharp knife laid atop it, and we looked at each other.

"should i...?"

"go for it."

i grabbed the knife, placing it in the spot between our wrists.

"this should be the right spot... i'll separate our arms, and then we can use that rope to make a tourniquet. then we can try to find an exit."

"sounds good to me. go for it."

i sliced the flesh, but it didn't work. the knife cut right through it, leaving through the other side, but we were still stuck - and now, in pain.

i dropped the knife in a pool of blood. we both stumbled back, leaning against the wall.

"what the fuck is going on after all?!"

none of us could answer it. the white room remained quiet, save for the sobbing.

after what felt like two full days, the pain had gone away. the knife remained in a pool of blood. we were sitting on the floor, staring at it.

"we have to find a way out of here."

"there's no door, and no windows either. can we break down these walls?"

"i doubt it. they feel very solid."

after a long silence, my companion spoke again.

"i'm just starting to realize something."

"what is it?"

"we've been here for two days. we had nothing to drink or eat. do you feel hungry or thirsty?"

"no."

"we also got no sleep. do you feel tired?"

"no."

"me neither. i'm... starting to think we're not alive anymore. at least, not in the traditional way."

i couldn't answer it. we kept silent for a while, staring at the knife and the wall. and this is where an idea crossed my mind.

"maybe the knife can cut through the wall."

"... maybe. do you think we should try?"

"i don't see another choice."

with difficulty, we stood up again. i grabbed the knife, and we went to the wall; one stab was all it took to poke a small hole. not without difficulty, i managed to carve a shape big enough for us to pass through, and with a kick, this section of the wall fell to the floor. we rushed into the dark space in front of us.

when we woke up, we were back at the room. now, both of our arms were fused at the wrists.

i couldn't scream anymore, for my lips, too, were fused shut.

all i could do was cry.

and none of us has stopped since.
© Copyright 2022 lynn avalon (lynnsmadmoneys at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283543-the-white-room