*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/767823-WC-Newsletter-98-Plagiarism
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by esprit
Rated: E · Column · Writing · #767823
You think Halloween is scary? Try Plagiarism for real terror. 10-27-03
********* ** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only ** ***********



Weekly Editor's Letter:



This was Starr* Rathburn ‘s week to do the newsletter, but the ghosts, goulies, and goblins are still haunting her computer. She graciously allowed me to do it. Thank you so much, Starr* Rathburn .

When I learned of the honor given me, I quickly went to Google and typed in ‘Halloween.’ The Halloween Edition should be about the holiday, right? That's what I thought.

A thousand sites popped up, so I chose The History Channel. I like the History Channel and it was at the top of the list. I needed information on the Halloween holiday and I got it. So I wrote a great article on the origins, and the different ways it was celebrated around the world. For instance, I didn’t know that in Latin American countries, people gather at the grave sites of their relatives to picnic and reminisce, and they sometimes include tequila and a mariachi band. They know how to have fun.

YOU THINK HALLOWEEN IS SCARY? TRY PLAGIARISM FOR REAL TERROR!!


As I read my prepared article, the word, Plagiarism kept inserting itself into the sentences. I argued with it, explaining I had given the appropriate credit to the site, but it wouldn’t listen. It is the most insistent and aggravating word in a writer’s vocabulary, it must be listened to.

I looked the word up in the dictionary for the exact definition.
plagiarize (also plagiarise) >verb take (the work or idea of someone else) and pass it off as one's own.
-ORIGIN from Latin plagiarius 'kidnapper', from Greek plagion kidnapping'.


So, I’m sitting here thinking of kidnapping someone else’s ideas. I want to know how a writer or anyone for that matter, can not use another’s ideas. Everything we learn comes from someone else. Everything. I understand about using the exact words of another writer and saying you wrote it, but the idea? Who says more than one person can’t have the same idea? A copyright? No, it only documents which one got it copyrighted first.

As I looked through different sites for Halloween information, I ran across two or three articles on a subject I was considering. They were almost identical; different authors, different sites, same information - told the same way. They were on a myth that has been told for hundreds of years; are they plagiarizing? If someone (me) who was so graciously allowed to write a holiday newletter and was desperate for information, read everything she could find on the myth, and subsequently wrote an original article using the information, is that plagiarizing?

Who was the originator? No one has the answer.

I heard of an author that was accused of plagiarizing. He denied it until he was shown the work. It turned out that yes, he had read it years before and had honestly forgotten. The thoughts were in the sub-conscious and came out in his work years later. Was that plagiarizing? The court said yes.

A writer has to be very careful what he uses, and he also has to know where his ideas come from. It’s difficult to write a good story while worrying about whether it’s an original thought too. In my opinion, there are no original thoughts. Someone, somewhere and sometime, has already been there and said that.

I decided I would not do the Halloween article after all, it was just too frightening. So instead, I learned a little more about the terrifying subject of plagiarism. It makes me want to padlock my keyboard!

Happy Halloween and Keep writing.

esprit




|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

A new item is being announced in this week's newsletter.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#759099 by Not Available.



This forum is viewable by all who have signed up for the WC newsletter; however, the challenge itself is only open to members of the Writers' Circle.

We DO invite all others to read and rate the entries, and to vote for which story you like best



Featured Works From Our Members:


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#265690 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#170747 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#768598 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#746496 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#736458 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#736461 by Not Available.



|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||



Articles on Plagiarism:


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#677247 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#600542 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#542750 by Not Available.


Whose Work Are You Stealing?  (E)
Anonymous is such a great writer. Must be. He/she writes some wonderful e-mail forwards.
#507260 by Kenzie


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#459567 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#136920 by Not Available.



|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||


Writing prompt: Write an original paragraph, using only your own 'original thoughts.' Not thoughts we have heard before.

I don't think it can be done, truly, but I hope you prove me wrong.


If you post it in the submission item below, I may show them in the next newsletter I do.


|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||



Quote:


Read, read, read. Read everything--trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master.

This week's quote was contributed by

William Faulkner




|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||



Recommended Reading and Forums:


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#766983 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#766613 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#765983 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#764936 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#768709 by Not Available.


Next weeks editor will be *~* Judie *~* !

You are invited to submit suggestions to the Writers' Circle editors. To submit an item for consideration in the WC newsletter:

 WC Newsletter Feedback and Submissions  [E]
WC newsletter submission, a cheer or jeer, or just want to join the group? Find it here!
by Red Writing Hood <3




|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||


All comments about this and any WC newsletter are welcome!

Tell your friends about our newsletter! They can sign up through this link. Feel free to forward this newsletter to your friends.

 WC Newsletter Feedback and Submissions  [E]
WC newsletter submission, a cheer or jeer, or just want to join the group? Find it here!
by Red Writing Hood <3


Issue #98
10/27/2003
Edited by: esprit
© Copyright 2003 esprit (storytime at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/767823-WC-Newsletter-98-Plagiarism