*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/850818-Wake-Up-Mama
Rated: 13+ · Prose · Experience · #850818
Flash fiction piece.
Dear Diary--It's summer vacation, and my sister and I get to do whatever we want, because my Mom sleeps all day. She sleeps until just before Daddy gets home from work. Then she goes back to bed before Anna and I go to bed at night.

Sometimes I really need to ask mom something. So Anna and I try to wake her up. Sometimes we sneak up beside her bed and put a cold wet wash cloth on her face. Mom just fusses at us and rolls over. One time we took my transistor radio and turned it up real loud and put the earphone in her ear. Good thing we ran and hid. Mom was really mad! By the time we came out she was asleep again. One time Mom was asleep on the couch while Anna and I were watching TV. The phone rang, and Mom answered her tea glass. She spilled the whole thing in her ear. Anna and I couldn't help giggling. But just a little because Mom was real upset.

There's one thing that bugs me. I almost forget to notice it anymore since Mom and Dad won't ever talk about it. It's like they pretend it away. It's just that when Mama sleeps all the time, she smells really bad--just like Daddy's whisky bottles.


Word count: 220
© Copyright 2004 SusanFarmer (susanf222326 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/850818-Wake-Up-Mama