*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/963626-Home-At-Last
by GailS
Rated: E · Essay · Spiritual · #963626
This is a short blurb I did for our church newsletter.
Peace Lutheran is my home. It’s the first church I’ve ever said that about and really meant it.
When I came to Peace, I’d been looking for a church home for about three years. By that, I meant a church where I could mostly trust the truth of the preaching, feel that I sort of fit in and make up my own mind about how to serve instead of being automatically placed into watching the nursery or making coffee (I don’t drink coffee).
Instead of all that, I found Peace.
“Come sit with us,” called the choir. “We need a tenor.”
So I did.
“I don’t know anyone who has their life totally figured out,” said the pastor, “I certainly don’t.”
So I fit in.
“God loves you so much, and wants you to know it,” was the preaching.
So I stayed.
Since then I’ve had a chance to lead Bible studies and sing in the choir, with occasional forays into other service areas. I’ve found people who ask about how I’m doing and love me even when I’m not perfect. I’ve been nourished by preaching that deals with real life situations, and encouraged to read, read, read my Bible. My pastor shows me how to follow through on these things by the example of his own life. Others in the congregation do the same. I’ve learned to love all kinds of people, because that’s who we have here. God loves them, so I try to learn from His example. I’ve learned that God cares about the real lives of His people, including mine, and that I’m called to care, too. No matter what’s going on in those real lives.
That’s what home is, isn’t it? Caring about each other no matter what.
I'm glad to be home at last.
© Copyright 2005 GailS (gstorrs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/963626-Home-At-Last