*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/799721
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#799721 added December 8, 2013 at 3:15pm
Restrictions: None
Carrie Underwood survives criticism
         I want to defend the recent TV production of The Sound of Music. It was marvelous. It was clean and wholesome, so unlike a lot of TV. The live part versus prerecorded made it more fascinating. And the cast was excellent. The sets were great.

         I'm no acting critic, but I realized Carrie Underwood was a little stiff in the delivery of her lines. Her singing was surprisingly good. She's no Julie Andrews, but who is? Julie is a hard act to follow. As her first major role, this turned out quite well, considering her lack of experience and training. No one was expecting an Oscar nomination.

         Overall, the show went well. The other actors did quite well. The nostalgia of the movie prevailed. Those of us who grew up seeing the movie know the music quite well and the storyline. The stage production had a few changes, however. The baron broke up with his fiancee for political reasons, for instance. The young governess had nothing to do with it. The fiancee never plotted to send the children away once they were married. She was much nicer and more likeable in this version.

         The children were more like real children, and by today's standards, a little corny. That's how children were raised at that time. In the movies, children are too polished and worldly.The whole story is a little corny to our hardened, modern perspectives. It's about hope and patriotism, being true to your beliefs, doing what's right instead of profitable. It's not about being politically correct.

         I think the critics missed a lot. By focusing on the lead actress's inexperience they missed the uplifting message of the story, the inspiration of love, and living for ideals. I felt thoroughly entertained. I laughed, I cried. I wondered anew what I would have done. Could I have left it all behind, and struck out into the unknown for freedom, to live my conscience? SNL made fun of the musical itself, which proves my point that as a society, we have become too cynical, too shallow, to appreciate anything that isn't profane or insane.

         I hope brave young entertainers will continue to try wholesome entertainment, live art, and new ideas. I believe that Carrie Underwood will get better if she keeps trying. I applaud her efforts. 

© Copyright 2013 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/799721