*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799115-After-the-intruder
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#799115 added December 1, 2013 at 4:07pm
Restrictions: None
After the intruder
         I still don't feel safe in the house. There's always noise--something from the neighbors yard, or a squirrel knocking something down on the back porch, or the creaky old furnace. But now, especially when it starts to get dark, I jump at every sound.

         I wanted a 10 or 15 minute nap Saturday, but I didn't get it, because I had to keep getting up to check the back door or go outside to look over the house or check the driveway. I ended up sitting with the phone in my hand with my feet up, but by then my time was up. I had to get up and heat up leftovers for dinner.

         The door stays locked. This neighborhood was so peaceful. We trusted everyone. We felt safe. I would stay here all day with the door open. My dad would be here alone and leave the garage open, while he trimmed hedges or blew leaves. Now the garage stays shut and the only door he leaves unlocked is the one he can see while he's working.

         Our days of peace and trust are gone.

© Copyright 2013 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799115-After-the-intruder