*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/823487
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#823487 added July 25, 2014 at 12:07am
Restrictions: None
Power Outage
         I was forced to have some down time tonight. The power went out for over 3 hours!
No light, no music, no TV. I had passed up a shopping trip, because I was going to boil eggs for a picnic. I planned to devil them tomorrow night after I get home from a play. I had just enough time to change the sheets in the guest room, for the weekend, and boil the eggs only. I had already done dishes and swept the floor. The computer was on.

         Well, at least the summer evenings are still long. I took a book, my bug lotion, and my iced tea on the back deck. I read until it got too dark to see the words well. Then I sang softly to myself outdoors. The neighbors were talking and playing radios. They wouldn't have noticed me. Finally, in the twilight the sun powered butterfly lights came on. They were the only lights I could see except for the gaslight in the driveway of the farm behind us.

         I even managed some exercise and stretching on the porch. Then I realized I had gotten cold. Yes, cold in the summer! I went in and started peeling eggs. My dad came in from his outing. He started a lantern, so that I could peel the eggs without ripping them apart in the dark. Then, we sat and talked by candle light. I guess that was kind of old-fashioned.

         Sometimes you have no option. No computer, no entertainment, no light, no power equipment or toys. It was nice. My brain danced around on its own. I enjoyed it.

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/823487