*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823408-246
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#823408 added July 23, 2014 at 10:45pm
Restrictions: None
24/6
         I heard a doctor making a speech this evening. He was talking about how busy we all are, how frantic our lives are. We can get a 3 minute egg in 20 seconds with the right devices. We have more time saving devices, energy saving devices, and work saving devices than ever, but we still don't have time for family or friends. We're living longer than people ever have, but there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything we try to do.

         And then there's multi-tasking. No one is allowed to do one thing at a time. You can't just drive, or just eat, or just cook dinner. You read mail or a magazine while you watch TV. You have to do multiple things. Employers don't want anyone who can't multi-task, even though studies have shown that the quality of work goes down with interruptions and multi-tasking.

         This doctor goes on to say that we have to take a day off once a week. Not the kind of day where you work yourself to death loading or unloading a boat, getting it out of the water, etc., or a day off to do yard work. He means a real sit down and chew the fat with relatives or friends day, or read a book day or meditate or whatever slows us down and lets us re-energize. Even God took day number 7 off to enjoy his work.

         Seize the moment. Stop and smell some flowers, watch some butterflies. Sit on the porch with a glass of iced tea for a few hours and do nothing. Don't use the time in the rocker to twitter or read email from work. Just relax and chat face to face. Life might be a little richer while we have it.

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823408-246