*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1431130-A-Primer-to-Roommates
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #1431130
If you're heading for college and have no experience with roommates, prepare yourself.
The college experience is rife with the potential for stress. One of the biggest stress triggers is dealing with a roommate. While there are triggers whether someone chooses to have a roommate on campus or off, there are some unique aspects of living on campus that promote stress. Even if you grew up sharing a room with a sibling, having a roommate in college is much different. Before you haul the extra long twin sheets for your new bed, be sure to bone up on some survival tips for dealing with roommates.

One of the first steps you should take after learning about your rooming arrangements is to take a look at the floor plan. Almost all colleges and many apartment complexes have rudimentary floor plans available online. While the floor plan lacks all the information you need to determine exactly how much space you have, it gives you a starting point. If your room is divided up so each person has his or her own sleeping area, floor plans show the common areas (which can cause friction among roommates). You can also get a general idea how your home away from home is laid out. This is especially important if you are living in an apartment.

If you receive contact information for your roommate(s), take advantage of it! Find out what kinds of items each person has and can bring to the new place. This is also the time to make backup plans for essential items in case a roommate has to move out and takes various items during the move. Otherwise, you might find yourself scrambling for silverware right before the spring semester starts due to a roommate moving before Christmas Break. You can also find out what kind of schedules your roommates may have. While it's not always possible to know the exact classes someone will take, you can still find out if your roommates will be going to class most in the morning or later in the day. Finding out such information can reduce room conflicts such as playing music loudly at certain times or how to handle things if someone brings several friends over. You can also use the opportunity to bring up subjects such as keeping the room clean, which can cause major problems if left unaddressed. Keep in mind that if you can contact your roommate(s) before move-in day, it will be by e-mail. Be sure to adhere to e-mail etiquette when initially talking to your roommates. The last thing you want to deal with on move-in day is a roommate that already has a bad impression of you.

When you pack for college, keep two things in mind. Pack as light as you can, and don't bring anything of significant value if you can help it. It may seem odd to pack light when going off to college (especially one that's not very close to home). However, if you bring too much stuff, you and your roommate(s) may have problems with space from the beginning. If the arguing starts on move-in day, it could make focusing on coursework more difficult. Closet space is at a premium in most rooms, and there isn't always enough room under the desk or at your individual desk to store your personal belongings. You also have to consider the fact that even if you don't spend much money you will accumulate a lot of stuff without realizing. From syllabi to free goodies at campus events, you can acquire a lot of items without spending a dime. You can run out of space very quickly this way, so packing light can give you a little extra storage space in your room. With valuables, you never know who will be in your room. While items such as a computer are necessary for class and projects, expensive clothing and accessories should stay at home. For the valuable items you do bring, make sure they are secure. Put a password lock on your computer, even if your roommate(s) possess individual computers. I have seen roommates borrow others' computers, which opened the electronics up to myriad risks. Likewise, keep items such as cell phones and MP3 players on your person whenever possible. These items can easily be lost or stolen from a room without your noticing. When you live with other people, the number of potential thieves knows no bounds, especially if there are parties being held in your room. While a small safe may not be practical, it could be used to store certain valuables while you are not in the room. Otherwise, be sure not to leave them out in the open in your room. Even if they are not taken, anyone could come in and snoop through your personal information. Dealing with a roommate calling your friends or even stealing your identity to buy things can make your college experience a nightmare.

Most college attendees who deal with roommates have mixed feelings about the situation. While some people become friends with their roommates, many are scarred from the experience. These tips should help you have at least a tolerable living experience while in college. If you have some preparation for the living part of going to college, you can devote more of your time and energy to focusing on your class work. After all, isn't that why you're going to college in the first place?
© Copyright 2008 Elisa the Bunny Stik (soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1431130-A-Primer-to-Roommates