*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1468129-georgie
by rob
Rated: · Short Story · Satire · #1468129
dry critique of government

A man of no particular skill, Georgie XXXVII undoubtedly acquired his position of absolute authority through birth. The Bushmen were, and had always been, Utopia’s most prominent and wealthy family; and consequently embodied its entire ruling class. Utopia, the name given to a beautiful land by its sole founding father, Georgie sr., had become the world’s foremost nation in intellectual progression and military prowess. Abandoning the democratic election process of his homeland, Georgie sr. instituted a progressive, or “refined” democracy as it came to be known in Utopia. This far superior form of democracy was headed by a monarch with absolute authority; with rights to the throne passed through birth to the eldest son. In addition, “extraneous” members of the Busman family could be elected to fill other government positions through popular vote. A land founded on the principles of equal opportunity, all utopian citizens could purchase with a woman’s love at the same price, had an equal opportunity to vote for which bushman would occupy minor government positions, and as long as one lived in the lower ninety percent of the stratified society, had the opportunity for mandatory service in Utopia’s armed forces.
An ideal nation no doubt Utopia already seems. However by far it’s greatest attribute was (and is) its willingness to supply aid toward backwards societies. Following a lull in the glorious nation’s supply of aid throughout the previous generation, Georgie XXXVII was determined to do all in his power to spread the beauty of advanced civilization and cure “developing” nations. Thus, upon obtaining the role of democratic monarch, he made a call to rally the troops who had lain idle for the past number of years. “Today,” he preached, “will mark the beginning of a resurgence of spreading this beautiful nation’s perfect doctrine.”
Now, many of this world’s nations are not accepting of new principles instated by a foreign government. This being taken into consideration, the answer throughout Utopia’s history was to first gain control of that country, but only for the benefit of its inhabitants, and to no other use. Consistent with this train of thought, Georgie XXXVII consulted his younger, and far more intelligent, brothers as to which countries to aid.
As soon as the decision was made as to which nation most needed Utopia’s help, Georgie XXXVII was quick to mobilize his troops. Anihc was the target. The most populous and industrial nation in the world, Anihc was now the leading importer of goods into Utopia. Also, many of the early Utopian factories had moved to Anihc due to the cheaper labor costs and increased production. In fact, the nation of Anihc was so backwards that it supported relative equality of well-being amongst its inhabitants; a horrific policy, as it would create a dangerously influential body of citizens.
Utopia’s refined democracy was obviously right in its endeavor to aid Anihc. However, it feared the general public would not agree with its enlightened decision. As such, Georgie XXXVII issued an urgent issue of the Utopian Times with headlines outlining the growing threat of an un-cured Anihc. The article provided clear evidence that Anihc leaders had illegal weapons capable of destroying Utopian civilization ready to fire. “Thus,” Georgie XXXVII stated, “an altercation of their country’s ruling body is obviously a must; not just for the benefit of their nation, but the safety of ours.”
The following day the vice democratic monarch and leader of peace-keeping operations, Chain E. Bushman, dispatched his royal army with the relatively easy mission of aiding Anihc; seeing as in reality it was a nation without military strength. For the next few days, bookies were busy men, as an estimated sixty five percent of the Utopian population came out to vote bets on how many hours the operation of “Anihc enlightenment” would take. The majority of votes came in the 72-120 hour range, and those voters would prevail with thicker wallets. The peace infusing and enlightening operation took a total of 4 days, and after such time, as the Utopian Times so brilliantly summed up, “The previously despair-ridden Anihcese have become joyous followers of Utopian political doctrine.” This was obviously much cause for celebration throughout Utopian lands, as old and young lads alike drank to an enlightened and peaceful world.
However in the former nation of Anihc, young revolutionaries were springing up in every pocket of civilization. Oddly enough they had a uniform message; “We are a land of far greater population and far greater personal diligence; we are a land with the capability to overcome our oppressive usurpers.” Despite rumors of Anihcese rebellion, Georgie XXXVII had no reason to worry. Never before had an aided nation succeeded in rebelling against its savior, Utopia. In fact, contrary to natural concern, he had his eyes set on the aiding of another desperate nation, Nari.
© Copyright 2008 rob (robbywaters at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1468129-georgie