*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1809166-All-the-Brave-Cowboys
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Karyn
Rated: E · Other · Contest · #1809166
What do you do when the big boys are not around?
         "Come on, Steph! You gotta get up or you'll never make it!" The boy was smaller than most his age but his heart would never allow him to let anything happen to his sister.

         Oh, Joe! I don't think I can! She called back, her legs crumpled under her as she sat on the ground. "My ankle is hurt bad. You go ahead and get help!"

         No! I'm not going to leave you here in the dark!"

         "Joe, you are very brave, but the night is falling and the wild dogs have been fierce lately. I can already hear their howling! You must go!" She pushed him away, her eyes widening at the long, echoing notes.

         "Don't be afraid, Steph, I'll fight them off!" And he drew his pistol.

         "There!" She cried. "One is coming around the house!"

         The boy whirled to where her finger showed and raised his gun and fired. The dog, in spite of the quick shots of the boy's pistol, loomed large as he shot toward them.

         "My gun isn't working!"

         "Joe! Run!" Steph screamed.

         "Ahhhh!" Joe collapsed under the weight of the beast, struggling and pushing at the shaggy chest. He heard his sister scream his name...


         The sharp beam of a flashlight cut though the dark, lighting a slightly wet, perky mutt. Joe could hear Stephanie laughing at his gross and slimy predicament.

         "Are you two still playing?" Their eldest brother, Mike, shivered slightly in the cool air of the suburban backyard. "Mom said it's bath time and then bed."

         "But I've got to reload my water pistol and take down the wild dogs!" Joe complained as Mike began to lead them both inside.

         Mike chuckled a bit. "Maybe tomorrow. I might even help you out."

         "Really?" Joe asked, excited.

         "You bet, cowboy." Mike smiled.
© Copyright 2011 Karyn (kaikanosei at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1809166-All-the-Brave-Cowboys