*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1994885-Battling-Ghosts
Rated: E · Prose · Dark · #1994885
Some battles cannot be fought alone. 310 words
Battling Ghosts


I stand embattled; my armor is a quality boiled hard leather to protect from the sharpness of the enemies' sword and dagger. But it is the demon and ghost I battle today. I am but a lowly, powerless rogue with some fighting skills and I have not the ability to combat this ethereal being, except with my meager will. My best weapons have been to sneak and avoid detection and to run when necessary. But, as this ghost attacks, I am stunned by the sudden shock of icy cold pain and frozen in its hellish agonies. I am lost eternally and weakening and I can not cry out. My voice has been muted, stuck in my throat. I have fallen and curled myself as if still in the protectiveness of the womb, yet the hellish agony flows through me and over me and I fall into an eternity of icy anguish.

Then there is a warm touch; flaming hot, in it's burning discomfort. I instinctively focus on this outside agony and flee toward it like a child to her mother's embrace. I can hear my sobs in my own ears and realize my pain was being cried out and I had not realized it. The hot touch soon soothes as the iciness of the demon retreats and the warmth spreads quickly, soothing and thawing my frozen and curled limbs. There are tears in my hair that fall upon me like a loving rain and I realize a friend has chased away the demon and protected me with her love. I find a refuge in her protective shield and the ghost is turned for this time. I am exhausted by my ordeal and I lay in the protective embrace of someone with the power to strengthen me against the attack of my ghost.

Some battles just cannot be fought alone.
© Copyright 2014 DyrHearte writes (dyrhearte at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1994885-Battling-Ghosts