*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2006307-A-Hard-Apple-to-Swallow
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #2006307
short piece, frivolous
"I dare you to eat that apple" said the man.  His eyes were catlike and blazing green.  His face was not haggard but somehow still tired and worn with lines. 

"You mean that one there on that low branch,"  I said.

"Yes, that one,"

I thought, well, I like apples.  Who is this guy the poison apple witch?  So I reached up and plucked the apple from the tree and sat back down on the bench.

I took a bite.  Well, you know the old saying, what's worse than finding a worm in your apple??

Half the worm squirmed in pain inside the apple.  I spit out the mess to the ground.  Yuck!"

"Why did you want me to find a worm in the apple?" I said.

"In Tokyo, it's bad luck to kill worms,"

"But we're not in Tokyo,"

"We could be anywhere.  Belief defines where you are."

"So you're a Buddhist?"

"Aren't you?"

"Well, I guess.  I mean I don't hurt creatures.  I guess that kind of qualifies me."

"Sure it does, now if you'll pay me my fee, i'll be on my way"

"You're fee?  How much is that?"

"That's for you to determine,"

Well, I had about twenty dollars in my pocket.  I'll give him five.  I took out the bill and handed it to him.

"Hope to see you again here some warm afternoon," the man said.

"Yeah, but i'm not biting any more apples, see ya,"  I stood from the bench and made my way down the sidewalk, pondering religion.
© Copyright 2014 Pyramid Jones (jay-t at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2006307-A-Hard-Apple-to-Swallow