*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2010281-Gauntlet-Day-4
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #2010281
Fourth installment of Character Gauntlet entries.
Caitlin locked the door behind her and decided to go to bed early. Before getting settled in, she turned on some soothing music. Caitlin yawned and turned the lights off. She would sleep well tonight. It was about time. She passed out in less than fifteen minutes.

Caitlin was in the dark forest. It was cold and damp. She knew these woods since they were walked every day. Katheryn and Nathaniel were screaming inside, arguing as usual. She just shook her head and wandered further into the woods. On a normal night, Caitlin would stay outside enjoying nature for many hours. This time, she went back into the house. In unison, her parents began screaming at her belligerently. They belittled her and made her feel small. She just stared at the floor and shuffled her feet. She took the verbal abuse as long as she could, then snapped.

Clenching her fists into a ball, Caitlin started yelling, and did not hold back.

"Mom! Dad! Shut up for once in your life! All you do is argue, fuss, and fight 24/7! If you are so uptight about money, why keep spending it all of the time! You say we have a lot of it! If we did, what is the point of arguing about it! On top of that, you criticize me because I don't wear the fanciest clothes or have the fanciest tastes in anything! You both are materialistic! That's all you think about! Money, money, money! I'm not you! I don't want to be you! I would choose death before I'd want to be you! Grow the hell up! The world doesn't revolve around either of you! You are so selfish and make it hell to live here! I'll be glad to see the day I can get the hell out of here! I can't take it anymore!"

Caitlin knocked over some knick knacks and stormed up the stairs, slamming the door behind her. She let out a blood curdling scream to release the rest of the stress locked within. Katheryn and Nathaniel looked at each other in puzzlement.

"What was that all about?"
"I have not got the slightest clue, Nathaniel."
"Our daughter needs help."
"It sure seems like it."

Shaking their heads, the two picked up the argument where it had left off. Upstairs, Caitlin covered her face with a pillow. She got up and stormed back down the stairs, making sure her parents acknowledged her presence. Nathanial and Katheryn looked up at their daughter, then at each other, and back to Caitlin.

"Let me tell you something, Mom and Dad! I have been thinking! I want to see what our finances actually look like! I'm a part of the family and finances affect me too. Quit acting like I'm a leper or something! All I ever wanted was a warm and loving family, a home, to be loved, and financial stability in my life. Yes, I was born to you, but it's a shame I didn't have a choice of who my parents would be! I sure wish I had! It sure as hell wouldn't have been you!"

Caitlin woke up in tears and drenched in sweat.

Word Count: 531
© Copyright 2014 ElizabethHayes-DaughterofIAM (amethyst78 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2010281-Gauntlet-Day-4