*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2038683-Following-The-Road
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2038683
The travelers gain another member.
The words seemed whispered.

"You're going the wrong way," was all I could make out.

What did she know? Or was it he? Or It?

No matter. I was still following the yellow bricks that the Good Witch had pointed me to. How could I be going wrong?

"Lion, does this seem like the right way?"

"Roarrrrr," was all I got back. Along with courage, he needs better communication skills.

"He's a lot of help," said Scarecrow. Covering his lack of a brain with sarcasm.

"Down here," came the soft voice again. "Watch where you're going you big tin can."

"Ops, sorry!" said the wood chopper. "I didn't see you." Not sounding concerned.

"That's no excuse," said a small furry creature. "You're so intent on finding the Wizard, you stomp on us. Two of my brothers died that way."

"Sir, we really meant you no harm," speaking up before one my fellow travelers decided they didn't really need a squeaking complainer.

"Just not paying attention," the little one replied. "Which is probably why you got off the Road and are now following this fake created by those sneaky flying monkeys."

"What are you?" asked the scarecrow. "What do you mean?" added the tin man.

"What do I look like; I'm a chipmunk!" he replied. "Look behind those dead bushes and you'll see the real road. Look closely at what you're on, and you'll find bricks painted with cheap yellow paint."

"Wow, you're right," I said. "How come you spotted it?"

"Being closer to the road doesn't hurt," he chuckled. "And, if you must know, I'm going to see the Wizard too. He's going to make me big enough to avoid getting stepped on."

So, the four became five, making their way toward Oz.
© Copyright 2015 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2038683-Following-The-Road