*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2057294-The-Unlikely-Trio
by River
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2057294
Three young men learn to help one another after some life changing events.
The day was warm. The sun high in the sky. Linkin sat in the green grass.

He laid back and looked up at the blue sky.

"Nothing could get any better than this," he said to himself.

Closing his eyes he thought about his life. How he wanted it to be.

But that hard, scary truth lingered in his mind. What had happened.

But what could he have done? Could he have fixed everything? Made things right?

He opened his eyes and looked at the clouds. Nothing could stop the clouds from doing what they wanted to do. What happened could've been stopped.

"No," he said. He sat up and looked at all the trees that filled the world. The little hill top gave him the best view.

"I couldn't have done anything," he said.

Laying back down, the pictures ran though his head. He ran play after play, thinking that maybe he could have stopped everything.

"Linkin!" Someone called.

He didn't care. He acted as if he didn't hear them.

"Linkin, come on, we need to get going," the young man called.

He sat up, turned to see them standing there by the trees. He waved to let them know that he heard them.

They smiled and waved back. He broke into toothy grin. He couldn't help it.

He had to admit that he loved the two. They were like brothers to him. Growing up as an only child, he didn't know what it meant to care for anyone but himself. Until, one day, they came a long.

He turned back to the beautiful land. He shook his head.

Here he was, sitting in the prettiest place he'd seen in some time and the only thing he could think about is a sad past.

"So much for nice," Linkin said.

"We're going without you," one of the young men called.

He shook his head. Standing up he looked at the land one more time, picked up his things and walked over to the men.

"If you guys did that, then you guys would get lost very quickly," Linkin said, once he was next to them.

"I don't know. Maybe we well be able to hold our own," River said.

Linkin looked at him. River's sea blue eyes said that he was joking.

River had dark blonde hair. He was smart for his age, Linkin knew. The guy wore dark blue jeans and a green tank top, and his father's dog tags hung from his neck. Those tags were the only keepsake he had of his family. His mother got very sick and died when he was young, and his father was in the Army. Sadly, he never came back home. River was 19 when his father died. That was three years ago.

River was the one who found Axe. The youngest of the group. He was 19 years old, and thought that the world was his playground. He sure wasn't going to let anyone tell him otherwise. Axe wore blue jeans, with holes in them from wear and tear. On top, he wore a light blue t-shirt.

He was childish, with his brown shortish, messy hair. Tufts of it stuck out here and there. His green eyes radiated his peaceful nature. How much love he had. He never knew his family, and when he did find them, they said, "We don't want you! Get out of here!"

It was all because he was a werewolf. Though he wasn't even a full wolf; he was a half-breed - part human, part wolf

So he left and never looked back. But then River found him and everything was good. Seeing that River was a werewolf with no family, just made their friendship even better, stronger. They meant almost two and a half years ago.

"What are you thinking about, Link?" River asked.

"About us." He said. "About how we became the trio that we are."

River looked at him. Axe stood by them and nodded.

"What do you think about yourself, Linkin?" River asked.

Linkin looked at him and thought, "What do I think of myself?"

I have short, black hair. Deep green eyes. I'm wearing black jeans, a gray tank top and a blue and white button-up. I'm 25 years old. My life before I met them was very different. You see, I'm a Pure-blood. A higher-up werewolf. But something terrible happened, and I ran away.

"Don't think too hard." River said. His voice pulled Linkin out of his thoughts.

"You think you're funny." Linkin said.

River smiled. "Don't beat yourself up, Link. There wasn't anything you could do about it."

"But what if I could have?" Linkin said. "What if I -"

River stopped he short, and said, "They did it to save you. Stop thinking that you could have done something."

Linkin knew he was right. His mother and father gave their live's so he could get out. But he didn't want to be King, so he gave it up and ran away. That was about a year and half ago. He met them about a year ago.

"Linkin?" River said.

Axe looked at Linkin, closed the small space between them and gave him a hug. "Linkin, we love you."

Linkin put his arms around the young man. "I know. I love you guys, too."

Axe let him go, looked him in the eyes, and said, "We are family." Then he looked at River, and added. "This is all we have now. We can't let the past come between us."

River nodded. "He's right. We are all we have. We need to care for each other."

"I know." Linkin said. He smiled and added, "How about we get to Alicia's place now."

"I like the sound of that." River said with a big smile.

"YES!" Axe said. He was jumping up and down. And then he stopped and looked at the other two and said, "What if the Mutant Code Of Honor wants to pull us part?"

"Why would you say that?" River asked.

"Heard that sometimes, they ask that people be put in other house's. Do you think they would do that to us?" He asked.

Linkin came up to him, put an arm around him and said, "No, I don't think they would."

Axe smiled and walked along with him. River walked over to the other side of Axe and put his arm around him too.

After all..." Link paused, and River and Axe both turned to look at him. "We are an unlikely trio

They all laughed, knowing that it was the truth. Noing could break the special bond that they shared.
© Copyright 2015 River (makingitup at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2057294-The-Unlikely-Trio