*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2094336-The-Interview
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2094336
Eva goes to a job interview, never expecting to land the job. ~Daily Flash Fiction 8/24/16
PROMPT: INTERVIEW, WHISPER, CUP ~ 300 words or less


My latest job interview had me sweating uncontrollably. I knew this was another dead end, there would be no job for me, but here I sat, my shirt soaking up the sweat that continued to run from under my arms. One by one the prospective hopefuls came in and out of the boss’ office; not one of them happily, making me close my eyes.

My throat parched, uneasiness settling into the pit of my stomach. I had to drink something before my voice came out gruff and rugged, ruining what little chance I had left. I moved to the water cooler, took a paper cup and filled it to the brim. I downed the cool liquid quickly, filled the cup again draining that one and returned to my seat.

“Eva Jones,” the secretary called.

I stood and followed, praying with every step towards the office.

“Have a seat, Miss Jones,” the woman behind the big desk said, engrossed in paperwork.

I sat, the temperature in this room much cooler than the outer office and breathed a sigh of relief.

“Your resume looks good,” she said, finally moving her eyes to me, her blue orbs widening in shock.

I swallowed hard, trying not to show my utter embarrassment.

“Oh my,” she said.

I cringed, knowing I would have to explain myself. “Menopause,” I uttered, my voice barely above a whisper.

She slammed her hands down onto the desk. “Oh God, don’t you just hate that? Insomnia, hot flashes, anger at the flip of a switch. What a nightmare.”

I nodded, my mind racing wondering if this would help my cause or hinder it.

“Can you start tomorrow?”

My jaw dropped. Who would’ve thought the nightmare of menopause would lead to a job?


WC: 291

© Copyright 2016 Purple is House Florent (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2094336-The-Interview