*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2095588-Storied-Birthday-Celebration
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Supernatural · #2095588
Writer's Cramp 9-5, prompt details below, word count: 698
"Before we get to the cake, let me tell everyone that the prompt for day four of the Writer's Cramp and Writing Dot Com birthday celebration will be to write a story or poem in the mortal human or animal genre, or both," said Esmeralda, High Priestess and Conjurer. As owner of the Writer's Cramp forum, she sat at the head of the table before the group with standing room only in a Storied Mansion conference room. "Remember, this genre is free of all supernatural elements."

Drake groaned loudly and Esmeralda turned and shot him a look.

"I hate writing about mortals and their pets. It's so boring and unappetizing," said Drake. He ran his tongue along his teeth pausing on one of his massive canines. "I'd rather write about feeding on them."

"That is exactly the point. You need to write outside of your comfort zone, Drake," said Esmeralda. "The winner gets a very special prize. They will get their choice of one of the WDC mortals. They have the silver portfolios only visible to our membership level. As a bonus, you'll get their balance of gift points. Since no one wants to fund these prizes as of late and the mortal will no longer need them, I figured it's a win-win."

A voice varied in intensity as an image of a man attempted to manifest itself in the chair next to Esmeralda. "ARE... Are... are collaborations acceptable for the disposition of the prize?" asked Malcolm. His ghostly presence increased once he stopped talking.

"Malcolm," said Esmeralda. "I know you have written some absolutely magnificent reviews which were not well received. So I assume you have your mind set of one of those folks. If you want to just haunt them, fine, but you won't get the gift points. If, say Drake or even Stephen wants to deliver, whomever you choose, to the netherworld, that will work as well. You would get the gift points in that case."

"I'm still protesting the deadlines," said Stephen. He stood with his hands shoved in his pockets, admiring the sheet cake on the sideboard. "Those of us with daylight or moonlight afflictions, as it may be, are not able to utilize the full 24 hours like everyone else."

"Stephen, we've gone over this several times. No one uses all 24 hours. Like everyone else, you'll have to plan accordingly," said Esmeralda. She pushed back her chair and rose. "Let's have some cake before Stephen starts drooling on it or worse and starts shedding lycanthrope fur."

While the cake of ladies fingers was being enjoyed, a larger than death vampire with his cape billowing out behind him with his long strides, entered the room.

"I'm late but would never miss the Cramp party," said the Storied Vampire.

"Storied! Welcome," said Esmeralda. She licked the icing from her fingers. "There are so many competing parties this week, it's hard to choose, but I'm glad you stopped by ours. I heard Dr. Jay was handing out blood filled hearts at his Science genre party. I'm heading there right after we are done here."

"Blood filled hearts? Where did he score those?" asked a young female vampire.

"Probably the same vendor as the ladies fingers," said Drake. "A much better choice than cake for vampires."

"Oh, Drake," exclaimed Esmeralda. "Just go get your heart from Dr. Jay. I don't want to hear you complain for the next hundred years about missing out. Bye, Felicia."

Several attendees chuckled.

The young female vampire took Drake's arm and led him from the room.

"Everyone, thank you for supporting the Cramp," said Esmeralda as she stood before the group. "It's very exciting to have so much participation each month. We are the silent minority here but consistently we turn out compelling pieces of flash fiction. Thank you to our judges and to Storied. Without him, none of this world be possible."

A round of applause and cheering took place with everyone standing. Storied was beaming.

Thank you, thank you," said Storied holding his hands up to quiet the room. "And keep sending those merit badges out as it pleases my mistress immensely. Now, let's go crash another party."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Writer's Cramp 9/5 Witches, vampires, werewolves, and ghosts are celebrating the Writer’s Cramp’s Sixteenth Birthday. Show us their party.

Write a story or poem for this Supernatural Genre Piece.

© Copyright 2016 NeedingBeachDuf 🐠⛵🏝️ (meduf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2095588-Storied-Birthday-Celebration