*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1389766-The-Faithful-Mongoose
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1389766
The Faithful Mongoose

There lived a lady who had a small baby. The baby didn’t have anyone to play with, except for a mongoose. The mongoose was so close to the lady that he was like a part of the family.

One day the lady found that there was no water in the house to drink. So before she left her home to fetch water, she advised the mongoose to look after the baby well till she returned.

As soon as the lady left the house, a snake gets into the house from the bushes nearby. The snake finds the baby and tries to bite her. But the mongoose comes in between and fights with it. The mongoose bites the snake several times and within no time the snake gets killed.

After sometime the lady returned back and finds her baby with her eyes closed. She looks at the mongoose and to her surprise she finds blood near the mongoose mouth. The mongoose looked confused to see the lady looking at her in an unusual way. Now the lady was sure that her baby was dead and not sleeping as the baby was wide awake when she left the house. She thinks that the mongoose has killed her baby instead of looking after her and with no second thought and out of anger she beats up the mongoose so much that the mongoose gets killed.

Suddenly she hears her baby crying and she immediately stops and runs to her baby and takes the baby in her arm. She feels ashamed of herself to beat an innocent animal for no reason at all. She finds something below the baby’s cradle, she looks down to find out what it is and ….there!!! It’s a dead snake!!!

She then realises how stupid she was to kill the faithful mongoose who had taken care of her baby and killed the snake to save the baby. She felt the loss of the innocent faithful mongoose all throughout her life.

MORAL: Think twice before you do anything.
© Copyright 2008 chandram (chandram at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1389766-The-Faithful-Mongoose