*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1389419-Washermans-Donkey
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1389419
Washerman's Donkey - A Short Story
Long ago, there lived a washerman who had a donkey and a dog. The washerman was very tired after a long hard day at work, so he wanted to sleep very well. He said "all is quiet. It's been a hard day. Tonight I shall sleep like a log". Looking at the master, the donkey and the dog were very sad and they said "There!!!! He once again forgot to give us our dinner".
A few hours later, a thief got into the washerman's house and thinking that he is a very lucky man starts to fill his sack with money. He doesn't realise that the donkey is at the window looking at him. The donkey turned to the dog and said "Look!!! A thief is carrying off our master's goods. Why don't you bark and wake him up???". The dog replied "Why should I? Our master always neglects us."
The donkey was furious, he said "How can you let our master down, you unfaithful, ungrateful cur?". This didn't bother the dog and he said "Should I be grateful for being neglected? No, I will not wake him up". The donkey didn't wait any longer and he started to bray "Hee-Haw! Hee-Haw!" .....he went on braying.
The thief thought in his mind "Oh this silly donkey! He will wake up the whole neighbourhood".
The washerman woke up with a start and went to the window. But by then the thief had got away. He shouted "That stupid donkey has ruined my sleep. I will teach him a lesson".
Grabbing a cudgel he rushed out in the yard with anger and beat the donkey mercilessly.
The dog shook his head in pity for the donkey and thought in his mind "Poor donkey. If only he had stuck to his duties instead of trying to perform mine, he wouldn't have had to see such a day".
© Copyright 2008 chandram (chandram at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1389419-Washermans-Donkey