*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/portfolio/item_id/1458037-Words-for-Creative-Writing
Rated: 18+ · Folder · Reference · #1458037
Pages of word list references for creative writing.
This is a lexicon I put together for my personal use and realized they'd be fun to share as many writers new to creative writing might not have them in the foremost of their mind, or they might have read them in the same books I did and skimmed right over them (like me), or they could be useful reminders of what has been tucked in the back of cobwebbed and dusty minds.

There is a gold mine of descriptive words out there, some in use today and others from by-gone eras - awesome for Historical, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Horror. Most of these words I found in older Fantasy/Sci-Fi novels and Erotic works (non-naughty, but very descriptive words). Others were from Heraldry and Middle Ages glossaries.

There are many conventional, specialty, vintage, classical, antique, and ancient references in these pages. You'll find the archaic and obsolete, too. If you have an extraordinary word to add, let me know, I'll glady look into it, likely add it, and credit you if I do. Feel free to use words from these lists as they strike your Muse.
          - These lists use paraphrased definitions and synonyms; direct quotes may be included and cited. For more detailed information (i.e. time period they were initiated and used, examples of their use, possible images, and more synonyms or even antonyms) visit the resources provided at the end of each document or on the "Main Reference" page listed separately.
          - Typically the listed circa next to most words notes the word from its earliest written use (older spellings may be included). Verbal usage of a word normally predates written but is more difficult to pin down to an absolute date.
          - Some words will be duplicated from list to list due to the way they mesh with document content.

Thanks for stopping by my hearthfire! *Smile*
Æiri

PORTFOLIO  
Portfolio -> Words for Creative Writing
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/portfolio/item_id/1458037-Words-for-Creative-Writing