*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2059444-Why-the-Blue-Leaves-Were--Blue
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2059444
All the houses, and yards, are the same - except for that one.

Why the Blue Leaves Were Blue


     The leaves were blue this year. They were usually red this time of year.

     When Juskin and Vearma woke up that morning they didn't know their world was about to change forever. While Juskin got them something to eat Vearma went outside to see if there was any morning deliveries. Vearma didn't even start fixing them something to eat when Juskin yelled for her to come outside – now.

     It wasn't like Juskin to panic. So Vearma knew something was wrong. When she got outside she saw what was wrong with Juskin. Juskin was staring at the trees in their front yard. The leaves on those trees were blue.

     Juskin and Vearma couldn't stop staring at those blue leave. But after about half an hour they did. First they looked at each other with shocked look on their faces. Then they looked at the other houses on their street. They were in the only yard on the street with blue leaves.

*******

     It's been three weeks. And no other trees on that street had blue leaves in their yards. Why did they have blue trees? That's what Juskin and Vearma wanted to know. They also wanted to know why they only had blue trees in their front yard.

     All the houses, and yards, on the planet of Zannam were the same. And all those yards still were the same – except for that house.

     Juskin and Vearma weren't the only ones who wanted to know why they had blue leaves on their trees. The whole world knew about their weird front yard. And they have already had a lot of people show up to take a look at the blue leaves. So far it hadn't got out of control. But it's only a matter of time before it does.

     It's getting so bad that Juskin and Vearma can't even leave their house anymore. They knew that this was going to happen. But they didn't happen so quickly. One second there was only a few Lookers wanting to see the blue leaves. And the next the street, and yard, was full of Lookers.

     So far the Lookers only wanted to look at the blue leaves. Every so often one of them, usually a child, wanted to touch them. But they were stopped before they did.

     Juskin and Vearma couldn't leave their house. But it wasn't as bad as it sounded. Except for being trapped in their house they lived normal lives. They got up in the morning, they ate and they lived. The only thing they couldn't do was leave.

     It got so bad out there the local Locals were called in to try to control things. And they did control the people – at first. But after a few more weeks it got so bad that even the Locals couldn't handle the crowd. So they called in the Government.

     The Government Locals barely got there when what was feared the worse happen: Someone touched one of the blue leaves. It was a child. The little girl jumped back after touching it. Not because it hurt her. It's because how it felt. The blue leave felt cold.

*******

     After what happened with the little girl the Government had no choice but to get involved. They sent their best Yard Expert, Danitch into find out why the blue leaves are there – and why they are cold to the touch.

     Danitch was the best. If anyone could figure out what was going on it was him. The first thing he did when he got there was get rid of all the Lookers. Then he set up his lab to do some testing. And finally he took over Juskin and Vearma's house.

     Juskin and Vearma didn't really mind Danitch living in their house. At least he got rid of the all the Lookers. And they could leave their house again. Besides that, they wanted to know what is going on with the blue leaves too.

     The first thing Danitch did was take samples of the soil, mostly around the trees, all over the front yard. He also took samples from all of the trees too. And several blue leaves from each tree.

     Danitch tried every test they knew. And he still had no idea what was going on. The test didn't show anything unusual in the soil. Danitch thought maybe the soil was infected in some way. But he was wrong. The same is true about the trees too.

     It took Danitch almost a month. But he finally figured out why those blue leaves were blue. Danitch should have known why the leaves were blue as soon as he got there. The houses on Zannam were the same, so was the yards, but they only looked the same.

     Juskin and Vearma's house was different from the other houses on the street. It was a mess both inside and out.

     Juskin and Vearma's house wasn't the only house that looked that bad – some of them were probably worse. Which means this could happen again. In fact, Danitch was sure it was going to happen for the same reason that it happened this time: The blue leaves are blue – because they are sad.


The End?


© Copyright 2015 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2059444-Why-the-Blue-Leaves-Were--Blue