*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2059613-Jagged-Glass
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2059613
A Personal Battle Ball can be either a game - or it can be life and death.

What was a Personal Battle Ball? A Battle Ball was a ball about the size of a hand for a child and about the size of a big head for an adult. If you were a child it's a game. But if you’re an adult it's life or death. That's why it's called a Battle Ball. The object of the game was to throw your ball at your opponent – and try to knock their ball out of the square. They use their ball to try to block it – and knock your ball out of the square. After your turn it's their turn. Whoever had the most knock-outs in the allotted time was the winner. The game could be played one on one or as a team.


Jagged Glass


     "Watch out for that jagged glass Lectum," said Florinna. Florinna bent down to pick up one of the pieces of jagged glass.

     "You are in a lot of trouble this time Florinna," Lectum said. He was still looking at the broken window that Florinna had broken.

     "Don't be so sure about that Lectum. You know that I am daddy's baby. Who do you think daddy will believe when I tell him that it was you who broke the window," Florinna said with that evil smile of hers.

     "There are a few problems with that little sister. One is that we were videoing the practice to show you what you were doing wrong. Another one is that it's your Personal Battle Ball that broke the window. And your blood is all over the broken jagged glass as well as your Personal Battle Ball."

     That was a lot for Lectum to say. But once he got started talking there was no stopping him. After taking a few breaths he continues, "And most important reason of all: Our 'daddy' has been watching the whole practice."

     Florinna looked up toward the second floor of the family house.
Then back down at the jagged glass. "Lectum could be right this time," thought Florinna.

     The practice was going on out in the back yard. They were practicing down by the lake. That should have been more than far enough away from the family house so that daddy could watch her but far enough away so no damaged would happen to the family house. But she was wrong. And was probably going to cost her – her new Personal Battle Ball.

     Each Personal Battle Ball is designed for a single person. They were the only ones who could use that Personal Battle Ball. There was no way that Florinna was going to get out of this one.

     If Lectum would have been the one that broke the window he would have lost his Team Participation for the rest of the season. "Why couldn't it have been you that broke the window?" Florinna thought.

     "There has got to be a way out of this." Florinna looked over at Lectum and then back up toward the second floor again. "If only daddy wasn't watching I could have still explain the blood and the Personal Battle Ball. I don't know how I would explain it but I know I could do it."

     Lectum wasn't the only one who couldn't stop talking once they started. It must run in the family. Both their mommy and daddy had the same problem.

     Speaking of Lectum the reason why he hadn't said anything the last few minutes was because he was picking up the jagged glass. He was almost finished picking them up when he and Florinna heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

     Florinna didn't have to be told who was coming down those stairs. It had to be her daddy – Sorah. Her mommy, Morli, was at work. She wishes she was old enough to be at work now too.

     Lectum had a big smile on his face as Sorah came down the stairs. That smile faded fast when his father first looked at the jagged glass – then at Lectum. He had seen that look before many of times. "I didn't do it. You say it. Florinna did it this time."

     "I know that Florinna broke the window. But I still blame you for it happening. You are thirteen. And she is nine," said Sorah.

     "So, I am thirteen - and she is nine. That doesn't make it my fault. She's the one at fault. Florinna is the one who broke the window."

     "Like I just said I know Florinna broke the window. But your wild pitch made her hit your Personal Battle Ball. If she hadn't of hit it your Personal Battle Ball would have hit her. And the speed it was going you would have hurt your little sister. You through your Personal Battle Ball at her on purpose."

     Florinna was right: Long speeches did run in her family. She knew that she wasn't safe from being punished too. But it was sure looking like she just might have gotten out of this after all.

     "I didn't try to hit Florinna - on purpose. But I did throw my Battle Ball pretty hard," said Lectum.

     "Yes, you did. You got mad because your little sister was better you. So you tried to hit her. And when you missed her she tried to hit you. But instead of defending yourself you ducked. If you hadn't have did that she wouldn't have thrown it past you – and broke the window. That's why I blame you for breaking the window."

     "I didn't know she could throw it that hard. And I didn't duck. My Battle Ball hadn't returned to me yet, Said Lectum.

     Florinna hide her big smile from everyone. She can't believe she was going to get away with something else. Maybe she was daddy's baby after all.


The End?





© Copyright 2015 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2059613-Jagged-Glass