*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1000352-Taking-up-Ice-Fishing
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#1000352 added December 17, 2020 at 12:50am
Restrictions: None
Taking up Ice Fishing
It's been a rough kind of day, not bad, just frustrating. I slept later than I wanted, which is good, I've been staying up pretty late and needed some sleep. But, shortly after I got up, the girls needed help with their school work; they are in distance learning until mid January. I don't mind helping them, but I prefer to have a chance to wake up my old brain and get it fueled up on some coffee first.

After each received some help, they seemed to be doing good on their own, so I got on the computer to get a few things done. I would no more than get a good start and one or the other would need some help. After a few tries and failures to get something done, I closed things out and gave them my full attention. But, as soon as they had it, they both set about doing their work with no help needed.

Fine, I thought, I'll go to the kitchen and get a few dishes washed up and start some lunch. Again, as soon as I got involved, they came needing some help. First one, then the other. Not getting anything accomplished, I returned to give them help but again, they didn't need it anymore. It went on like this all morning and into the afternoon.

I had a doctor's appointment for a checkup this afternoon, so I wanted to freshen up and change before I had to leave. I told both girls I had to take a shower and get ready no later than one o'clock. The next thing I know, the older girl is in the bathtub. We have one bathroom, so I was out until she finished. I rushed her a bit and managed to get my shower and get out the door with no time to spare. Most times, if it doesn't involve them getting something, they prefer to stay home. Not today, as I rushed to get out the door, they wanted to come with me.

The youngest was still in her pajamas and the older one, still wet from her bath had put on a t-shirt and shorts. I explained I didn't have time to wait for them and headed out the door. It's about a ten-minute drive to the clinic, and my phone was going off the entire drive. Silly questions they already knew the answers to and requests for me to pick up this or that. I even received some suggestions for dinner.

I left the phone in the truck so it wouldn't be going off while I saw the doctor. The visit went well, but my blood pressure was up a bit. It tends to run on the high side anyway, so it didn't take much to push it into there. I explained to the doctor why my blood pressure was elevated as a result of the girls being very trying. She understood and didn't even schedule me to return in a week or so to have it rechecked. I do have to go back in the spring and have some blood work done and see where the blood pressure is then, but just more routine stuff.

I also have to start logging my food/calorie intake and try and cut back on my daily intake as I work into some more exercise. Yes, I need to lose quite a bit of weight. Again, the doctor was very supportive and understanding when I explained that I tend to stress eat, and with the two adopted girls, there gets to be quite a bit of stress. Her recommendation is to find a nice hobby that will give me a break from the stress and a bit of exercise at the same time.

I was already a step ahead on that one.  I explained that I was waiting for a small ice fishing shelter to arrive by next week, and then it's out to the lake to sit in the fish shelter by myself and relax. I don't care if I catch any fish or not, just some time away from everything. Sure, catching some fish would be nice, but then the girls will see the fish and it will be the same thing, "Can we come with?" That would defeat the plan of getting away. As it was today, I'm already anticipating this, even though, they both have told me a few times, they do not like to ice fish.

But, we'll see how it goes. The plan is, I go, they stay home so I can get some peace and quiet. I'm also thinking that I may be able to get some writing done as I sit out on the ice. Of course, that's up to the fish. I'll bring paper and pencil along just in case I do have something surface to write about. I don't know for sure, but it seems like a sure fire way to get the fish to bite.

© Copyright 2020 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1000352-Taking-up-Ice-Fishing