*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1000524-Three-Score-and-Ten--Day-124
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2232901
Psalm 90:10, "The length of our days is seventy years—or eighty if we are strong....
#1000524 added December 19, 2020 at 8:48pm
Restrictions: None
Three Score and Ten + Day 124

I awoke last night ponder What Is normal? With all of the changes the world has seen in the last 70 years and the continual speed up of recent change, How do I know what is normal? Is there a Normal World? Has there ever been a Normal World? Is Normal World different for everyone?

What I have come to reason out is that what we come to think of as normal is put in our thinking at an early age, maybe 10-12 years. Old enough to recognize and come to conclusions of the world around us, but young enough to not yet be locked into thoughts. You are still somewhat flexible in the development of your thought. As we age our thought becomes more rigid. And as a result what we think of as normal becomes rigid and set. It become as benchmark for what we see as normal.

The world today is a long way from my benchmark of what is normal. Without going into my up bring at this time that affected my view of normal, I will state some of the normal I staked out at an early age. Faith and Trust in a Christian God, Two parent families, Self responsibility, Self reliance, A man's word was as good as gold, Promises were kept, Pride and satisfaction in a job well done, A real days work for a days pay, Respect for authority, National Patriotism, Politeness, Logic and Common Sense, Respect for Parents and all Elders.

Thinking about it I am sure there is more normal in my subconscious mind. But the point is it is my normal. It is also generally the normal of my generation. I have driven a stake into my benchmark normal. It will not budge. I will not try to budge it. I will not accept todays younger generational normal. I am happy with my life long normal and consider everything else abnormal. I will remain Old School stuck on real honest values. I pray that their are many of my time that will remain holding on to their Normal.

So I had better answer the questions stated prior based on my reasoning. How do I know what is normal? Normal is a individual factor within your mind picked up at an early age. Is there a Normal World? NO because normal is a moving cultural factor. Has there ever been a Normal World? No It has always been changing. Is Normal World different for everyone? Yes based on our early years environment.

Are you living for the future or the past?

It is now late in this day and I can try to give my thoughts on this question. I am an old soul and the past ways color my present world. I try to hold the PAST close as it teaches us something if we keep a connection. The teachings and experiences of past individuals can provide us wisdom if we desire it. The past is a collection of past individual "Now Moments". There are times when I am home sick for the past. But today, Now at this "Now Moment", I am Thankful to see the present "NOW Moment" how ever fleeting it may be. I will try to use my knowledge of the past to influence this "Now Moment". As for the future, at my age that is a questionable prospect. The future How long, Under What Conditions may it be? I find myself pulling in my horns now. How can I justify a major purchase, How do I justify a risky move. Stability is the only road now. I will fight to keep the walls from farther closing in on me and the wife. I will work to keep as many of our options open as long as possible.

Can the past help with the future, Maybe, Maybe not. The one thing I see in the future is uncertainty and that is troubling for me. Here in this "Now Moment" the future is scary. I will want to stick with the comfort of the past and the present "Now Moment". But I know I have some future and it will arrive and already has. I Pray with God's help I will be able to handle the future with dignity and grace.

If you are chasing to find happiness, You will never catch it, Happiness needs to be found in the NOW Moment.

© Copyright 2020 Fathertymme, "Cold Durry Days" (UN: fathertymme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fathertymme, "Cold Durry Days" has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1000524-Three-Score-and-Ten--Day-124