*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1001527-Tasty-Delights
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1891402
Miscellany
#1001527 added May 13, 2022 at 10:09am
Restrictions: None
Tasty Delights
Tasty delights

Lunch was served. The flavor of food hung tantalizingly on the air around the dining area. The place was colorfully decorated with natural flowers and sparkling ribbons. The scent of jasmine and the rose lingered, lending the room a sense of happiness.


Conversation swirled around. The tables, bearing different dishes of food were attractively set. The china was alluring and the napery glistened pearly white. The number of people coming for lunch gradually increased. The older couples wore a wistful smile, for they just witnessed a marriage, while the younger couples looked forward to the following traditional practices like the bride's sprinkling of rice, bride and the groom exchanging garlands and so on. The just marrieds shone bright in their newfound bliss.


Bride’s friends Rupa, and a visiting American student, Sally, strolled in to dining hall in anticipation of a long and leisurely meal.


Sally looked around curiously. Everything fascinated her. She loved the new climate, new culture, new people and most importantly, new food.


Talking about culture, she just decided to buy a veil like the one the bride wore, which lent her an air of princess of ancient times.


As they lined up to get their food she ran an appreciative glance over the variety of dishes on the buffet table.


Mmm... there were number of mouthwatering foods like spicy chicken, mutton biryani PopNote and fish curry on the one side, and on the other side, were vegetarian preparations like coconut chutney, stuffed egg plant and mixed vegetable curry and a number of sweet dishes. Everything is India specific, which is exactly what Sally wanted. Separate tables displayed salads, deserts and ice cream.


Rupa and Sally heaped their plates with portions of chicken, mutton biryani and fish curry with some salad.


“Madam! This variety of fish curry is special to these parts,and much relished,” said the man behind the table, who could be one of the catering staff. Rupa and Sally nodded their thanks to him as they served themselves.

Then they walked out to the wrap-around porch, found some chairs and sat down to enjoy the beach view, the breeze  and the food.


The very first spoonful told Sally that fish curry item is worth learning.


“Rupa! you must tell me how to make this fish curry. I am sure I’ll be able to do it when I go back home. Our salmon tastes very much the same.”


“Sure Sally. Actually it is quite easy. The only requirement is the availability of fresh catch.” 


“We have our farmer markets where I might get some,” enthused Sally. 


“Ok. Here you go." Rupa put her plate aside, took a clean paper napkin and jotted down the recipe.


After cleaning the fish, approximately, half a pound, of its fins and fine scales, cut it into smaller pieces and marinate in sufficient amount of salt, a pinch of turmeric and one teaspoon of red chili powder and half cup of curd. Keep it aside.


Prepare the following ingredients.

Onions – 2 medium-sized, finely chopped
Spinach – one small bunch, washed and chopped.
Green chilies (optional)

Spices to make a paste-


Ginger-1 inch
Garlic- 5 cloves
cuscus- 1 teaspoon
cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
coriander seeds- 1 teaspoon
Dry coconut- a small piece


Put all the above items together and grind to paste using required amount of water.


Method-

To cook the curry, take a deep skillet and heat 2 tablespoons of oil of your choice in it. Add first,

Cardamom- 3 nos

Cloves- 5 nos

Cinnamon- 1 inch

After above spices popped, add chopped onions and green chilies and fry. When browned, add the paste of the ground spices. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.

Add the marinated fish and spinach. Stir lightly for a couple of minutes.

Then add half a tumbler of water. cover and let it cook till the gravy thickens and the fish softens. Simmer down the flame. Put it off after 3 minutes. Before serving, garnish with fresh coriander and mint leaves.

Serve with rice or tortillas or any kind of bread.


Rupa checked her recipe before giving it to Sally.

Sally read the details and smiled, saying " Thank you".


----------------


They went back to get some sweetmeats. Sally was pleasantly surprised by the variety of deserts on the table.

She decided to write down the methods of making sweets like gulab jamun {popnote:"PopNote}a mix of cream and flour balls fried and dipped in sugar syrup.


Bride and groom joined the guests and amidst much laughter.The hundred and odd guests appreciated the delicious meal as they departed. Sally and Rupa took their leave of the newly-weds inviting them over to their pad for a small get together.


{{Dropnote:"Rules"}
Word Count:
Prompt:
Written for Sharmelle's Expressions   Recipe Kitchen Contest{/dropnote}}

© Copyright 2022 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1001527-Tasty-Delights