*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004598-Fen-15th-Entry-8-Jane-Says---Janes-Addiction
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#1004598 added February 16, 2021 at 11:23am
Restrictions: None
Fen 15th, Entry 8, Jane Says - Jane's Addiction
Soundtrack of my Life Challenge
Feb 15th, Entry 8, Jane Says - Jane's Addiction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Q_8q3XXrQ

The discovery of Jane's Addiction will always be indelibly coupled with my teenage rebellion. It was the first album cover I had to hide from my parents and Perry Farrell became my whirling dervish spirit guide on my journey of self-discovery. Jane's Addiction was my gateway band, my musical coming out party in a way. This song in particular was a way to look at my dark parts and celebrate them. Jane's Addiction's lyrics were dangerous and exciting, sexually charged and shameless. Farrell always delivered them with a bohemian edge wrapped in a vocal proneness I hadn't heard before. It hadn't sounded like any music I'd heard before and it was love at first site. The exploits of Farrell's off stage behavior fueled that sense of taboo that I was drawn too. It was suddenly cool and okay not to just be the child raised on classic rock and Amy Grant. This was my own sound, my own blend of bad and free. Its hard not to hear those steel drums in this song and now remember how they made me feel, like something was being awakened.


© Copyright 2021 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004598-Fen-15th-Entry-8-Jane-Says---Janes-Addiction