*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1006009-March-8-2021
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1006009 added March 8, 2021 at 9:56am
Restrictions: None
March 8, 2021
For "Blog City Prompt Forum
Prompt “When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.”
Eric Hoffer
Is Eric Hoffer correct in his assumption? Since we are social animals, how much do you think we are attuned to others in our groups or cultures?


---

I am not the one to disagree with Eric Hoffer, as scientific knowledge points out to the fact that the primate part of our brain dictates us that we fit in with the group we’re in.

Unfortunately for our free will, we do this without knowing or understanding what we’re doing. Mastering this primitive part of our existence takes some doing because the social force is so ingrained inside us that it is almost like an internal organ whose actions we’re not aware of until a pain of some sort alerts us.

There is nothing wrong with what a group dictates. A group just is, and it is especially difficult to stay away from it when we are born into the group and think of its rules and hierarchy as the sublime state of being. When the group intelligence is high, it can assimilate the differences of its members; however, even the best and the most intelligent groups end up becoming rigid in time.

In addition, when we are so part of a group, we fail to see its effects on us.

The thing is, the social force of the group exists inside us as well as outside of us, its size and chemistry depending on the particular group or culture we’re in. Plus, being and feeling to be part of a group, tribe, religion, culture, or nation makes us feel energetic and alive, which in itself, is an addiction.

There is nothing wrong with all this, but when we side with the tribe or group against others in order not to lose our place in its hierarchy, we’re not being true to our very own selves. I believe to stop acting with the tribe against our own hidden will, we need to master the primitive parts of our character, which begins by the observation of our own selves.

To resist the pull of the tribe we need to see and observe our tendency to demonize the other and especially rival tribes, groups, nations, political parties, and even sports teams. Once we recognize this tendency in us, it may be easy to rectify it. And who knows, we may become the leading force inside our group’s culture to put an end to fights, riots, and civil and international wars.



*FlowerV* *FlowerV* *FlowerV* *FlowerV* *FlowerV* *FlowerV* *FlowerV* *FlowerV* *FlowerV*


For: "Space Blog Group

Prompt: From Lou-Here By His Grace ’s "Purple Dawn
Write about this poem in your Blog entry today.


---

I am not much for camping out in the open, either. I rather prefer a comfy bed, more so my own, let alone in the wilderness of the old Wild West.

As romantic as the good old days may seem to most, to me today counts and today, in my old age, I prefer to be in my own element. I’d rather read about the good ole’ West in books than experience it. Maybe because in my younger days I traveled a lot--too much, I’d say--and ‘ve had my fill. Now’s the time to take care of my creature comforts.

Good poem though. I liked the descriptions a lot and that the poet agrees with me in essence. *Smile*


© Copyright 2021 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1006009-March-8-2021