*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1009686-Chapter-2
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #2249823
The 3rd part of The Raven series, where newfound domesticity is threatened by an old flame
#1009686 added May 5, 2021 at 5:03am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
Jake stared at the young woman as she stepped out of the shadows. A mass of fiery red hair tumbled down past her shoulders with slight curls on the sides that helped frame her gorgeous face. She was tall, even without the heels on her stiletto boots, and she cut an impressive figure in her attire. She appeared normal enough, albeit her clothing certainly had a Victorian flare to it that he had come to know too well in the past. There were clear modifications to make her clothing appear more modern and help her blend in with the world around her. A long and flowing black coat, a pair of tight leather pants that were tucked into her boots, and a red corset over what was undoubtedly a rather elegant and flowing white blouse.

Her eyes were an opaque blue, but Jake knew the true color of those heinous irises all too well. The sparkling blue was a simple illusion to cover her true nature and color. Those eyes, in her uninhibited state, were usually the color of rubies and reflected what she craved, blood. Even with the guise of falsely colored irises and a somewhat laid back demeanor, Jake knew in his heart that there was a hunger that was festering beneath the surface of the woman before him. Whether it was to feed or if it was simply to have him by her side once again, he couldn’t say and in truth he didn’t much care.

“I asked you a question,” he said, sounding more bold than he was used to these days, “Answer me or begone, but don’t stand there and look at me like I’m some piece of meat.”

She stepped forward, but paused upon seeing his defensive stance. He looked like a wild animal that was backed into a corner. She raised her hands in a motion of surrender and an attempt to put him at ease, “Calm yourself, Jake, I have not come here to fight with you. I merely wish to speak with you, and I will be happy to answer your questions if you will simply accompany me. Can we go somewhere...private?”

Jake eyed her curiously, “Why, so you can force me into being one of your slaves?”

“Nothing of the sort,” Ashley replied and took the moment to tentatively approach, “Jake, I only want to speak with you. I assure you that I have no ulterior motives.”

Jake flinched as she gingerly reached out and touched his arm, “Forgive me if I find that hard to believe,” he said.

There was something in her eyes that gave him pause. The tone in her voice caused him to falter as she asked, “What has that vile woman done to you?”

He closed his eyes and looked away as he responded, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

There was a pleading tone in her voice as she spoke, “Please, Jake, come with me. You have my word on my honor and all that I rule, I merely wish to speak with you.”

Jake was torn. He was wary of going anywhere with Ashley due to their past, but there was something about the look in her eyes and the tone in her voice. He knew that he needed to get back to Goth, but somehow that thought made him want to with Ashley. Something about the idea of spurning the woman who had all but wrecked his life was awfully alluring. Plus there was something about Ashley’s demeanor that was putting him at ease. “You’re not using any of your damned powers on me are you?” he asked.

She shook her head, “No, beloved, how can I build your trust if I started with deceit?”

He didn’t have a response to that question. He sighed and forced himself to relax as he offered his hand to her, “Alright, where are we going?”

Her face lit up and he had to admit that her smile was both radiant and adorable. She took his hand and pulled him forward into the alleyway. He was starting to get nervous when she spoke up, “Forgive me, my lovely, I find it best for us to be out of sight for this next part. I wish to show you something and to be able to speak away from prying eyes.”

The shadows of the alleyway pulled around them and he felt himself tense for a moment. The feeling of Ashley’s thumb brushing against his hand kept his fears from overtaking him, though, and he chose to trust her just this once. Darkness encompassed the two of them for a brief period of time and when the veil finally broke they were standing on a rooftop overlooking the city. Ashley released his hand and took a step back in an attempt to give him the space that he clearly needed. A fact that wasn’t lost on him and one that he was grateful for.

He walked over to the edge of the rooftop and looked around. They were on the southside of Metropolis. The lights from the various cars zipping about and the street lamps appeared almost like reflections of the stars that cut through the clouds in the night sky. It was quite a sight and he found himself mesmerized by it for a few moments. He hadn’t been up this high in sometime and he couldn’t remember the last time he had felt such freedom and contentment.

“Remarkable isn’t it?” Ashley said as she walked up beside him, “This world has changed so much, but it is the little things such as this that make it worthwhile.”

She was right, there was something to be said about looking out over the cityscape from such a great vantage point. He didn’t turn to face her as he replied, “Yeah, I almost forgot how beautiful it all is. It’s been a long time since I saw the city from this angle.”

“I know,” she replied, “I have looked for you for some time now, my sweet, but all that I have seen has been this Feral that the city seems to fear. I finally found you in the clutches of that wretched witch and have been forced to watch as she continues to torment and demean you.”

“How long have you been back, Ashley?” he asked as he finally turned to face her, “How did you get back?”

She turned to walk away from the ledge and motioned for him to follow her. He trailed behind her and kept a watchful eye on as she sauntered over to a large duct and took a seat. There was something about the way she swayed her hips while she walked that was bordering on hypnotic. The way her breasts pushed against the confines of her corset weren’t helping him keep his focus. She must have seen him staring, or felt it, because there was a wry smile on her face.

“First, let me say that I am flattered that you still find me attractive after all this time and I don’t mind you admiring me,” she teased and her smile widened when he blushed, “It’s cute that you are so easily embarrassed.”

He rolled his eyes and leaned against the entrance to a stairwell, “Bite me,” he said and then hastily tacked on, “Not in that way either!”

She let out a throaty laugh that gave him goosebumps, “So that wasn’t an offer then?” she asked.

“Are you going to answer my question or are you just going to keep avoiding it?” he replied.

“Of course,” she said, “I’ve been back for a few months now, Jake, and I’ve been quite busy since my return.”

“Doing what exactly?” Jake asked, “What are you planning?”

Ashley rolled her eyes, “It isn’t what you think, Jake, believe it or not I’ve actually immersed myself in the customs of your world and have taken quite the shine to them.”

Jake shot her a skeptical look, “So you aren’t feeding on people?”

“I didn’t say that,” she admitted, “However, you would be surprised at the amount of willing people there are in your world. Why did you never tell me that vampirism was a fetish?”

Jake opened his mouth and closed it. He honestly wasn’t sure how to respond to that. She was feeding on people, but it was by their own accord? He sighed and shook his head deciding to abandon that train of thought, “You’ll have to forgive me, I didn’t exactly have a lot of time to catch you up to speed the last time we met. You know, being turned into a vampire against my will after you nearly killed me kind of makes it difficult to conversate.”

His tone wasn’t lost on the vampiress, but if it annoyed her she hid it well. “I suppose that is a fair point,” she said, “You could at least try to relax, my sweet, I mean you no ill will and have no intentions of doing anything without your consent.”

“Yeah, you’ll have to excuse me if I find that hard to believe,” Jake said, “You want to tell me how you managed to claw your way back to our world?”

The sensual and seductive look in her eyes disappeared and was replaced with a serious look that Jake had only seen a couple of times prior, “You can thank your witch for my return,” she said bitterly, “That wretched woman once again broke the spell that bound me to the void, and do you know why, Jake? She resurrected me just to taunt me, she wanted to gloat about how you belong to her!”

That did sound like something Goth would do. He shook his head and tried to reason with her, “Impossible, Goth doesn’t have her powers anymore. Long story, but a powerful sorceress who could control time took all of her powers away from her.”

Ashley scoffed, “Whether or not she has her abilities is irrelevant. One of her pathetic followers brought me back by using your blood of all things. I fed on that worthless slut, I admit that freely, and went to confront your witch. She openly admitted that she was the reason for my return and flaunted her possession of you in my face!”

Jake was struggling to believe what Ashley was saying. It all sounded plausible considering the feelings that both women had about one another. He honestly wasn’t sure who hated who more. For whatever reason, he was having a hard time disbelieving Ashley. He felt a sense of betrayal by the one woman who was supposed to have his well being at heart. He closed his eyes and asked, “Say I believe you, do you really expect me to believe that Goth is that petty?”

“Yes,” Ashley deadpanned.

Jake was about to defend Goth, but he stopped short and admitted, “Yeah, okay that’s fair. What do you want, Ashley?”

She rose from the duct and walked over to him. She took his hands in hers as she spoke, “I want you. I know this might sound crazy, but the entire time I was trapped in that hell you were all I could think about.”

Jake grinned and rolled his eyes, “Believe it or not, I have that effect on psychos. No offense intended.”

“I’ll overlook your insult,” she said, “You deserve better than how that bitch treats you. You were my first turn, you are royalty not some lowly slave. Your attitude, actions, and spirit are akin to that of Duke or an Earl from my time. Be with me, Jake, I can give you everything that you want and need.”

There was a sincerity in her voice that almost made him want to take her offer. He knew who he was, though, and as tempting as her offer was he couldn’t abandon his position or his duties, “I can’t. Nevermind the fact that I cannot forsake my city, I’m no king and I actually enjoy the things that Goth and I do.”

“You are referring to your submissive tendencies,” Ashley said and leaned in, “I assure you, my sweet, I can fulfill all of your desires and make you much happier than she. I would not ask you to abandon your job as protector, but from what I’ve seen you haven’t been quite as active as of late. Who is this Feral that your news continues to go on about?”

Jake chuckled and pulled away. “Beth,” he answered, “Another long story, she’s...changed since the last time you two met.”

“This was your Catgirl, yes?” Ashley asked, “Curious, how does one go from trying to apprehend people to murdering them?”

Jake shook his head. He was trying to stay focused on the topic at hand, but it was difficult considering Ashley’s close proximity and her promise to indulge him in some of his previously unrequited wants. Goth had been a wild ride as of late and their sexlife had been tumultuous and rather hit or miss. He caught himself as his eyes fell to her impressive bust and, loath though he was to admit it, they moved lower to stare at those damned boots of hers. The thick black leather added a certain appeal and power that made the redhead all the more difficult to resist.

He stepped back to try to reign himself in, “Like I said, long story.”

She canted her head and sported a knowing smile on her face, “Do you not wish to share due to the length or is it because you are having a difficult time concentrating?” she asked and when he blushed she giggled and continued, “You flatter me, my love, may I show you something?”

“If it’s your bedroom, I’m going to have to say no,” he replied, which earned another giggle from her.

“Nothing without you consent, beloved,” she said with a wave of her hand, “I merely wish to introduce you to my latest venture and demonstrate what you could have were you to join me. What do you say?”

“I really should be getting back to Goth,” Jake admitted.

“Sever your leash for one night, Jake!” Ashley said, “You want to go back to that controlling and demeaning witch? The woman who stole your blood to bring me back, forget her for one night. Let me treat you as you deserve to be treated for a few hours. What do you have to lose?”


“Outside of the wrath of a Goddess, nothing,” he replied flatly.

“I’m not hearing a no,” Ashley said, “You said it yourself, she no longer has her powers. She was forced to rely on a meager acolyte to break the spell that bound me. Come with me, please.”

She held out her hand to him and waited for him to accept. He looked down at it and tried to find another way to object. He continually came up empty handed and after a moment he reached out and took her hand, “Oh what the hell.”

“Excellent,” she said and gave him a tug to lead him down the stairwell, “You can tell me these long stories that you’ve been withholding while we walk. Start at the beginning and don’t leave anything out.”



Beth stood in the shadows of Metropolis’ tenth precinct and waited while her contact analyzed the drug that she had managed to procure. Zoey, a rather petite brunette with glasses stood at the counter looking under a microscope. Beth had saved her and a handful of other cops and civilians from a hostage situation a couple of months ago. The girl had been more grateful than any of the other hostages once the criminal element had been successfully dispatched.

Zoey had been the one person who hadn’t shown any fear or uncertainty in her presence and she had offered her services if she ever had need. Beth had found out a couple of weeks later that Zoey had originally meant that as a date, but the girl had taken her rejection well enough. There had been disappointment on Zoey’s part, but once Beth explained the nature of her current relationship the woman had understood and wished her the best. She had made a rather intriguing offer involving a club that she was unfamiliar with somewhere downtown. She kept meaning to bring it up to Pam on one of their nights together; she hoped that the name The Radiant Red Room might mean something to her girlfriend.

“How did you manage to get your hands on this?” Zoey’s voice asked, breaking her free from her musings.

“Followed a lead from Del,” Beth replied with her modulator masking her voice, “Took me to a dealer who I coerced into giving me the name and location of his plug.”

“So what-you know what, I don’t wanna know,” Zoey said as she recalled the Feral’s affinity for bloodshed, “Anyway! I’ve never seen anything like this. What did you say they were calling it?”

“BFB is what the douchebag who tried to seduce me and sell it to me called it,” Beth replied, “Fucker said it’s unlike any other drug out there right now and it’s expensive. Can you tell what’s in it?”

“He tried to seduce you?!” Zoey asked before laughing, “Guessing you introduced him to the business end of your .45 then?”

“Knife,” Beth corrected, “He wanted to get intimate, so I got intimate with him.”

“You’re kind of fucked up, you know that?” Zoey asked with a shudder and received a shrug from Beth, “Moving on, the molecular makeup of the drug...it’s well I’m not sure how to put it, but it’s almost completely organic.”

“What the hell does that mean?” Beth asked.

“Here take a look at this,” she replied and moved over so that Beth could look through the microscope, “See that? It’s almost like this drug has its own cellular make-up! Now, watch what happens when I add it to blood.”

Beth watched as Zoey pricked her finger and let the blood drip onto a slide. She carefully took the vial of BFB and took a dropper to it before dribbling a small amount onto the slide. She replaced the slide and motioned for Beth to look. The reaction was almost instant and was unbelievable. The drug immediately latched onto the red blood cells and started changing it. The color in the cell grew dark and seemed to grow in size for a brief period before it started to turn pale and shrivel. It looked sickly and started to form jagged growths along the outside of it. She moved away from the microscope, having seen enough.

“What the hell is it doing?” she asked.

“I can’t be certain, but it looks like it strengthens the blood for a short time and then it attacks it like some kind of virus,” Zoey said, “If I add more of the substance to the tainted specimen it reverts back to the enhanced state. This means that this drug is more addicting than it is fast acting, the effects of a single injection will turn anyone into an addict faster than any drug I’ve ever seen!”

“Do you have any idea where it might be being manufactured?” Beth asked.

“Well, the thing is I’ve never seen a drug like this,” Zoey replied, “The makeup of this stuff is almost like it was blended with someone’s genetic code. I know how that sounds, before you say anything, and I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’ve never seen this stuff in any animal or person.”

Beth had a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach the more Zoey talked. “I’ve seen crazier things, particularly in the last few months,” she said, “I’m going to see what I can dig up any leads as to where this stuff is coming from.”

“Is that code for ‘I’m going to beat somebody until they talk’?” Zoey asked.

“Pretty much,” Beth admitted, having grown comfortable enough with the woman to be honest with her, “Someone’s out there with the information I need and they’re night’s going to get a whole lot worse if they want to keep their mouths shut.”

“Where are you going to start?” Zoey asked, “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“No, you’ve done more than enough to help already and I don’t want you getting anymore mixed up in this than you already have,” Beth replied while she checked her equipment, “Keep your head down and stay out of trouble. I figure that since the plug was on the southside of town, I’ll start there.”

Zoey shot her a smile, “You’re sweet, your girlfriend is a lucky woman. You two should come to the club with me sometime when all this is over.”

Beth smiled behind her hood as she said, “I’m the lucky one, I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for her. I’ll run it by her once she gets back into town, but I might avoid it for the time being if I were you. Stay safe, alright?”

“I’d tell you the same, but I don’t think that would do any good,” Zoey said, “I’d say be careful, but I also don’t think that’s in your vocabulary.”

“I’ll be fine, Zoey, just keep steer clear of this case and only go to work and home,” Beth said as she climbed out the window and disappeared.



The sounds of heavy bass accompanied by thrumming beats filled the air as Jake trailed behind Ashley. She had led him down through the stairwell of some apartment complex or boarding house, she hadn’t specified which, and into the streets. They had taken their time as they walked through the southside of Metropolis to what looked to be an old warehouse. Ashley explained that she had come into possession of the building shortly after her return and decided to use it as a sort of base of operations. After doing some reconnaissance of the new world she had discovered that an easy way to bring in people and money was to turn the place into a club. Barely a month later, Clove was born and operational as a rather exclusive nightclub.

Jake ignored the fact that she didn’t specify how she came to own the space or how she managed to fund the redesign, some things were better left unknown in his opinion. He was impressed with the setup that the place had, for someone quite literally out of time she had done an incredible job of keeping things current and hip. A good portion of the space was used as a dancefloor, there were booths for deejays to setup and blast their music, speakers and lights hung from trusses that lined the high ceilings, there were cages setup for dancers to put on a show, a large bar stocked with various liquors and liqueurs on the back wall, and a couple of VIP areas. Ashley was currently leading Jake towards one of the areas that she called her own. The place was packed and they walked through droves of people, most of which moved aside without being told upon seeing Ashley. Finally, they came to a steel staircase that led up to her own private booth.

There were four individuals sitting in the rather large box. A few women with varying hair colors that ranged from raven to a deep green, each sporting an almost gothic and Victorian style dress. There was a young man, maybe a few years older than Jake, who sat beside one of the women. Their eyes locked on him and he could see it instantly, the blood red irises that carried a predatory hunger in them. Instinctively, he took a defensive stance in preparation for one of them to attack.

Before anyone could move, however, Ashley spoke up in an authoritative voice that snapped them all to attention, “Out. Now, eyes and hands off of this one. He is under my protection and whosoever dares to touch him will deal with me.”

The tone in her voice spoke volumes and even Jake found himself standing straighter from it. The four vampires stood and kept eyes on Jake for a second longer before they turned back to Ashley. Her eyes had shifted from that pale blue back to her typical rubies and her posture was as intimidating as it was commanding. The four didn’t tary, and they gave her a nod as they walked past them and down the steps.

“Friends of yours?” Jake asked, trying to dispel some of the tension that had suddenly filled the air.

“Colleagues and fellow investors,” Ashley clarified, “They were willing turns, Jake, before you go thinking differently. I offered them a full stake in my operation, to which they happily accepted.”

“That’s more mouths to feed,” Jake remarked, “Are there really that many people willing to just let you all feed off of them?”

“More than you might think,” she replied, “I understand your skepticism, but this fetish is larger than even I had considered. Now, you were telling me about your return home with your friends and the witch.”

Jake decided not to push the issue further and instead focused on simply picking up where he had left off, “Right, well after everything happened at the hotel and we were sure that everyone was fine we headed back to the castle to get a few things. I had to get some stuff from mine and Goth’s room and Pam wanted to grab some things for her and Beth. The drive back was pretty tense and when we got back all hell broke loose between Goth, Beth, and Sam.”

“Sam is your sister, correct?” Ashley interjected as she took a seat and patted the spot beside her.

Jake moved to sit beside her and felt her arm wrap around him and pull him closer. He once again ignored the heat that spread across his face and the sudden scent of jasmine that wafted off of her. “Half sister,” Jake corrected, “But yeah, funny how things work out I guess. We used to be at odds and now she calls me once a week to check in and make sure that I’m okay. I’m sure her and Salley are still out there causing some trouble, but I’m also confident that they won’t be doing anything too big because Beth pretty well scared the shit out of them.”

“So your friend adopted this new moniker as a way of becoming a sword of vengeance for you and for others?” Ashley asked.

“I guess, I mean that’s what started it all anyways,” Jake replied, “I think after everything that happened and everything she’s done, she doesn’t know how to go back.”

“Or she doesn’t want to,” Ashley offered and earned a cross look from him, “From what you’ve told me and from what I’ve heard, she has taken to killing like a fish to water. She’s a natural and I think you should consider the possibility that she enjoys what she does.”

Jake shook his head, “Maybe, but she’s not like your average killer.”

“Because she only takes the lives of criminals?” Ashley asked.

“She does what she has to, what others can’t do,” Jake defended, “If she hadn’t or if she doesn’t then people get hurt, good and innocent people. I may not agree with it, but she saved me because she was willing to do what needed to be done.”

Ashley could see that the topic was beginning to rile Jake up. She had convinced him to come and spend time with her, but if she continued on this path then it would simply lead to an argument. It ran the risk of undoing the progress she was sure she was making with him. She decided to shift the conversation to something she found more pressing, “May I ask you something?”

“Mind if I pour myself a drink first?” he asked.

“Of course, you still prefer an aged scotch?” she replied, “I have an exquisite blend from the eastern hemisphere that I selected just for you.”

She reached over and grabbed a rather ornate looking bottle and a glass for him. He accepted it and poured himself a small bit, “I don’t remember telling you that I drink scotch.”

“As I said, I have been watching you for some time now,” she replied, “Why do you choose to stay with that vile woman? She treats you like filth beneath her boots.”

Jake took a sip of the amber liquid and savored the taste. She wasn’t kidding about the quality of the scotch. It slid down the back of his throat and filled him with a warmth that he savored along with the notes of oak that danced on his tongue. He set his glass down and sighed, “It’s...hard to explain. Pam thinks that since Goth was the one who broke me that she has to be the one to fix me.”

“And you believe that?” Ashley asked, incredulously, “The words of a woman who served her for years, doesn’t that strike you as odd? She could very well be working with her to keep you in your fractured state.”

Jake shook his head and replied, “No, Pam wouldn’t do that to me. Once upon a time, maybe, but she’s changed and she’s seen first hand what Goth is capable of. Once Pam got with Beth things changed, she’s not the person that most people think she is when they first meet her.”

Ashley shook her head, “Assuming that you are correct, which I find doubtful, why listen to her? Even if this Pam has changed, who is to say that she is right?”

Jake took another sip of his drink and gave a thoughtful reply, “She has changed, if I can trust you when you say that your people are feeding on willing subjects then you need to trust me.”

Ashley sighed, seeing his point. She conceded, “You are right, you have given me your trust and I should give you mine. You still haven’t answered my question, why do you stay with this witch? You have been back in your city for months and from what you’ve told me you have made little progress. From the sounds of things, neither of your friends seem to know everything that is going on between you and your...caretaker.”

“Like I said, it’s hard to explain,” Jake said as he finished his drink.

“Will you try, for me?” Ashley asked with a sincere tone.

He set his glass down and searched for the best explanation he could, “I know this sounds batshit, but despite everything she’s done to me I still care about her. Yeah, she’s pretty well wrecked me and who I used to be, but I honestly don’t think she knows any other way. She needs me just like I need her.”

Ashley scoffed and spoke in a scathing tone, “You honestly believe that? If this woman were honestly trying to make a difference or a change then she wouldn’t berate and humiliate you the way that she does! Even if a part of you enjoys it, she should treat you with respect. Being a beta does not make you any less of a man, nor does it make you any less honorable.”

There was truth in her words and Jake knew it. He had seen the way that Pam treated Beth and knew that their relationship differed on several levels from his own. Pam didn’t look down on Beth and listened when she spoke, she had the control in the relationship, but if Beth objected or needed to speak then Pam would listen. The way Ashley’s voice shifted from an almost seething hatred to concern caused him to think more about what she was saying. He would have been lying if he said that he had never asked himself why it was that he stayed with Goth all this time. Even before everything at the Tower and the Castle, there were times where he questioned it.

His head was starting to hurt as his mind started to fight with itself. His submissive nature and the feelings of obligation that Goth had instilled in him fought against the part that cried out for exactly what Ashley was talking about: respect. He brought his hand to his head and felt himself growing frustrated as he inadvertently snapped at her, “What would you have me do?!”

He started to apologize when he saw that he had shocked her and that she was slightly taken aback by his tone, but she shushed him and took his hands in hers, “Join me, I can give you everything you want and treat you like the king that you are. Rule with me, yes I will turn you, but you will have eternal life by my side and at my feet when we are alone. I will show you the respect that you deserve and I will happily indulge in all of your wants and needs, my love.”

“You were my first turn and that is an honor that I feel you do not understand. You are royalty by all rights and by my blood. You are a king among men and others should tremble as you walk amongst them. I can take care of you, I can undo whatever damage that woman has done to you. Let me love you the way that you deserve to be, what do you say?”

Her offer was tempting and the way she spoke with such sincerity and gentle pleading was enough to make Jake consider it. He knew that she meant every word that she said and that she would be happy to treat as he wanted to be, both behind closed doors and out in the open. But could he do this? Taking her offer would mean forsaking his city, his friends, Goth, and betraying a part of himself. Sure this time he had a choice in the matter, but what was to become of everything if he said yes.

He closed his eyes and after a moment of contemplation asked, “Say I say yes, what happens to Beth and Pam? What happens to Metropolis?”

“Your city will still be yours,” she replied, “In time, you will be strong enough to protect it and there will be no need for your Feral friend. Forget them, they are inconsequential to you and I. I will be all that you need.”

He shook his head, “No, they risked everything to save me and I cannot and will not leave them behind. Pam almost gave her life to save mine and Beth’s and Beth literally gave up her freedom to try to save me.”

“And what did that get you?” Ashley asked, “Beth earned you scars and trauma that made your previous ones seem trivial! Pam’s sacrifice only managed to nearly get your soul absorbed and in the end you are still stuck with that witch! They may claim to care, but their actions have not benefited you, only themselves.”

Jake pulled his hands back and rose from the booth, “There’s the woman that I remember,” he said, scathingly, “You want me for yourself and damn everyone else, you’re not different from Goth. Why would I trade one prison for another?”

Ashley bolted out of her seat and said, “Do not compare me to that pathetic excuse for a witch, I am nothing like her. I actually care about you and I want you to be happy.”

“You’re more like her than you think,” Jake spat back before taking a breath to calm himself, “If you really wanted me to be happy then you wouldn’t be trying to remove my friends from my life. I won’t abandon them. Thanks for the offer, and thanks for the drink. It’s been nice catching up and up until now, I was enjoying spending time with you. I’ll see you around, Ashley, but I better not find out that you’re up to anything other than what you’ve told me tonight.”

He turned to leave and she called after him, “Jake, stop! Please, if you walk out of this booth then you will be resigning yourself to the fate of a broken man. You are better than that, I know because I have seen it. Don’t force my hand, Jake, I only want to make you happy.”

“Is that a threat?” Jake asked, “So the offer was a formality, what are you planning to just pounce on me if I walk out of here?”

“No!” Ashley replied, “I have meant everything that I have said, I am not going to betray the trust that you’ve given me. I simply don’t want to have to resort to something that either of us will regret.”

“Then don’t,” Jake said, “Goodbye, Ashley, and good luck on your club.”

Ashley watched as he put his hands in his pockets and made his way to the box’s exit. Part of her wanted to simply take him for herself right there, but she knew that if she did that he would never accept her. She plopped herself down and let her shoulders slump. She was one of the most powerful women this world had ever known, but for all that power her hands were tied. She heard the footsteps of her fellow vampires as they ascended back into the box. She paid them little mind as her mind raced to try to find a way to bring Jake on board with her.

“Seems your boy-toy simply wants to be prey,” Everett, the male vampire remarked, “He’s a fool to turn down such an offer.”

“Silence,” Ashley barked without looking up.

“You should simply take him for yourself, he is weak,” Everett continued.

She was in no mood to hear anything of the sort, and she made a split second decision to demonstrate both her position and frustration. She was on her feet and had her fingers tightly coiled around Everett’s throat in the blink of an eye. She held him off the ground and leered at him, “Who are you to tell me what I should and should not do?!” she demanded and ignored his rasping response, “You are nothing, you exist because of a gift I bestowed on you. You sit with me because up until this point I saw some value in you. Let me remind all of you why I am in charge!”

The women watched with a hungry curiosity as Ashley dropped him and turned to call attention to the rest of Clove. The eyes of hundreds were on her as she pounced on Everett and dug her claws into his throat. Her fingers were stained with a deep crimson as she clenched at the muscles in his throat before ripping them out. Blood splattered the floor and her while Everett lay there grasping at his bleeding throat and making sickening gurgling noises. Ashley wasn’t finished, however, and in a lightning fast move had her fingers dug into his chest. The broke through the muscle and bone with ease and pierced his beating heart.

She hauled him to his feet and walked his convulsing body to the edge of the box before kicking him off of her hand. His heart was ripped from his chest as his body went careening down over the railing and into the crowd. The music continued to blare around them as several people crowded around him for a second. His body turned to ash as he continued to convulse and the people resumed their dancing. His death was ignored in favor of enjoying the scene of the club, but the reminder was clear. Ashley’s word was law and there were consequences for all who dared to disobey.

She watched as her family went back to enjoying themselves and smirked. She felt a little better having gotten some of her anger out, but the void in her heart still remained. She would need to find a way to convince Jake to join her, but that would take time. She had toppled empires and slaughtered countless enemies in battles. If anyone could figure this out, it was her. She glanced at the still heart in her hand and squeezed it into a bloody mess. She licked her fingers as a show more than anything, the taste of Everett’s blood was acrid and unpleasant, but she wanted to show those who remained in her box how far she was willing to go.

“I’m going to change,” she said, ‘When I return, not one of you will mention my beloved or I will make Everett’s fate seem tame in comparison to what I will do to you. Nobody is to touch Jake, if I find out that any of you have without my permission or that he has been harmed by any of our family...I will torture the guilty party, starve them, and crucify them to be held on the roof until sunrise. Am I understood?”

All three women nodded and bowed before her, “Of course, your majesty. We understand the desires of the heart and will always respect your wishes.”

Ashley didn’t acknowledge their response as she walked to the steps. She passed through the crowd and without saying a word, everyone stepped out of her way. The respect that they paid her was further increased by the display of power moments ago, but there was an underlying amount of fear as she walked by. It was clear that her mood had soured from earlier and most everyone knew it was better to simply speak when spoken to, especially when she was like this. All she could think as she stormed through the crowd was how she could convince Jake to join her and how much he needed her. She would have him, one way or another.
© Copyright 2021 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1009686-Chapter-2