*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1009870-Soaring-with-the-Birds
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#1009870 added May 8, 2021 at 12:29pm
Restrictions: None
Soaring with the Birds


PROMPT May 8th

Write about your favorite outdoor activities to do in the summer. Are there any activities you haven’t done that you want to try?


I like to go walking in the woods. Hiking if you wish to call it that. I used to like to go backpacking. Unfortunately, our old bones no longer take kindly to sleeping on wafer-thin sleeping pads on rocky ground. So tent camping is out.

We still like to go hiking. So we now take day packs. Enough in our packs just for a small hike.

I also like to watch birds. I took a bird course once in college. That was interesting. There is a man in church who is an amazing birder. Top of his game. I can never, ever, identify birds as he does.

Another skill I would like to learn is flying. That ties in with birds. I always wanted to learn to fly an airplane. The sheer thrill of being up in the air with wings has always intrigued me. In the Musselshell County Historical Museum, we have a full-size, albeit small, airplane. This plane was built from a kit by a thirteen-year-old boy back in the 1920’s, I believe. I would have to go look it up, but the museum is closed as I type this. Anyway, it is a Pietenpol model, restored, and stored in an airplane hangar built for the airplane. Interesting story.

https://www.facebook.com/MusselshellValleyHistoricalMuseum

This young man built the airplane and flew it one time. At night, over Main Street in Roundup, at a time when the sheriff was sleeping. He then grew up to become an aeronautical engineer and pilot.

So never quench the interest and imagination of children. Give them free rein to go in any direction they wish to explore. Perhaps your son or daughter wishes to build an airplane in the garage. Move out the car and let them go.










© Copyright 2021 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1009870-Soaring-with-the-Birds