*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010029-May-11th-Prompt
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2226993
Just my opinions and outlook on life
#1010029 added May 12, 2021 at 9:27am
Restrictions: None
May 11th Prompt
What was cool when you were young but isn’t cool now? Is there anything that has become cool in recent years that wasn’t cool in your youth?



I think the clothing was just different. When I was a teenager, it was Yardley products from England, very short skirts, psychedelic colors, bell bottoms, and girls' hair was long and straight with bangs. The guys were all in garage bands and copied the long hair of rock groups. The language was different with words like groovy, funky, bread, pigs, guys called girls their "old ladies". Feminism was just becoming cool. I remember going to my family physician to get birth control pills. Gloria Steinem was my heroine and Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Joan Didion, Gertrude Stein, Edith Wharton. The drugs were different; you didn't buy prescription stuff for recreational use. Drive-ins were a cool place to go, last row was the best. The music was phenomenal with Pink Floyd, Janis, Jimi, The Doors, and of course Dylan. Concerts were the best and didn't cost $200/seat. I was into anti-war music and poetry-Howard Zinn, Pete Seeger, and Phil Ochs. We all wanted to go to Woodstock. I think some of us were into the car thing ( bigger engine, racing, cool looking cars). Now that is considered polluting the Earth (rightly so).

Today, I think it is much easier, I don't know about Cool, but to be L,B,G,T, X. So glad that has changed for many people that were stuck pretending to be someone they weren't. I can't imagine us with the technology that allows selfies that are sexy. I think parents are more friendly and open with their kids now about sex and sharing their own problems. It is cool that kids date, marry, have children across all gender and racial lines which is great. Kids today are more political, knowledge about heroes from all races and aware of care of the planet-also women can shoot for the moon and that is very COOL!!!!Of course the movies, music and social media is much more progressive and open about everything. Kids talk to each other more.

Actually, kids are still kids, trying to grow up too fast, think they know it all and they don't. That much hasn't changed. They need limits set for them and the chance to learn responsibility, about their bodies, handling money, spirituality and learn accurate American history in schools. WOW! They are fortunate in many ways and I look forward to watch them change the world into a better peaceful place. Just imagine, all the people living for today, loving each other. COOL!!





© Copyright 2021 Redtowrite (UN: kat47 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Redtowrite has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010029-May-11th-Prompt