*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012061-True-Repentance
Rated: E · Book · Religious · #2245288
Bible studies
#1012061 added June 21, 2021 at 12:11pm
Restrictions: None
True Repentance

Dear God,
Teach us what true repentance is. Help us to repent fully of our sins. Help us to learn to hate and reject sin the way you do. Give us a heart of true repentance and true worship so that we may glorify you in all we do.
In christ’s name,
Amen



Leviticus 26:40-46

40 If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that also they have walked contrary unto me;
41 And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity:
42 Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.
43 The land also shall be left of them, and shall enjoy her sabbaths, while she lieth desolate without them: and they shall accept of the punishment of their iniquity: because, even because they despised my judgments, and because their soul abhorred my statutes.
44 And yet for all that, when they be in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them utterly, and to break my covenant with them: for I am the Lord their God.
45 But I will for their sakes remember the covenant of their ancestors, whom I brought forth out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the heathen, that I might be their God: I am the Lord.
46 These are the statutes and judgments and laws, which the Lord made between him and the children of Israel in mount Sinai by the hand of Moses.

Isaiah 55:7

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

Components of True Repentance


1. Feeling of sorrow and regret for sin
2. Confession of sin
3. Accepting the penalty and punishment for our sin
4. Change

Feeling of sorrow and regret for sin

This requires humility. We must humble ourselves before God. We must have true sorrow and grief over our sins. The penalty of sin was the Death of Jesus in our place. It should have been us upon that cross suffering. Jesus was innocent, but he paid the price for our sin so we would not have to. Our sin separates us from God. Our sin is harmful to us and to others and to God.
2 Chronicles 7:14
2 Corinthians 7:8-11

While looking up information for this study, I ran across this song. It is beautiful and goes right along with our subject, so I thought I would share it here.
https://youtu.be/g08ZUz6ifTE

These two verses pretty much say it all.
Joal 2:12-13

Confession of sin

Confession is not something that you do just one time and never do again. Yes, there needs to be confession with repentance at the moment of being converted. However, it is an ongoing process. As you begin to become more and more aware of the works of the flesh as you read your Bible and spend time with God, you will discover many confessions you will need to make.
Romans 10:9-10

Confession of my own sins

We need to confess and acknowledge to God that we have sinned so that we can be forgiven and receive correction. We need to be aware of our sins so that we can avoid repeating them.

1 John 1:6-10

Confession of family sins

It is well known that we should confess our own sin to God, but did you notice Leviticus 26:40 mentions that God expected the Israelites to confess the sins of their fathers as well? In Exodus 34:7, and a few other scriptures, it speaks of the sins of the fathers being visited upon the 3rd and 4th generations.

It certainly can not hurt to confess the sins you know about of your family members and ask God for his mercy and grace. We can pray for the living relatives to see the error of their ways and to turn from it. We can ask God's forgiveness for the living and the dead, and we can ask God to remove any of sin’s curses from us, asking for his mercy.
Exodus 34:7

Accepting the penalty and punishment for our sin

We can ask God for his mercy like David did when he sinned with Bathsheba, but part of true repentance is accepting responsibility for our sins and accepting that there are consequences. Leviticus 26:41, of our main Scripture, mentions accepting our punishment. The following article explains how we are saved from the eternal consequences of our sin through Christ, but we may still experience the temporary consequences of our sin while on earth.
https://www.gotquestions.org/sin-consequences.html

God disciplines us like his children. Sometimes we are allowed to suffer the consequences of our sin to teach us a lesson. Suffering the consequences, teaches us to fear God and to hate sin. It motivates us to remove the sin from our life.

A father may discipline their son for getting an attitude with a teacher at school. While the son says he is sorry and won’t do it again, the father still follows through on the discipline to make sure the son knows there are consequences for his misbehavior.

I find this passage interesting. Even Jesus learned obedience through the things which he suffered. No, he didn't sin, but he learned obedience through suffering. Therefore, we will learn obedience through suffering too.
Hebrews 5:5-10

Change

In David's prayer of repentance in Psalm 51, he speaks of sinners being converted. This is also a term we use presently for getting saved. We have acknowledged our sin and grieved over it, confessed our sin and asked for forgiveness, and we have accepted our punishment. What is left? We need to change our thoughts, attitudes, and behaviors to purge sin from our life.
Psalm 51:13

What does it mean to be converted? Is it enough to just say a little prayer and go on with your life as you always have?

Definition of converted:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/converted
adjective
noting a specified type of person who has been converted from the religion, beliefs, or attitudes characteristic of that type:
a converted Christian; a converted thief.
noting anything, formerly of the type specified, that has been converted to something else:
His yacht is a converted destroyer escort.

Being converted is being changed from one thing to something else. “Getting saved” is not just about telling God you are sorry for your sins. True repentance is not a once in a lifetime thing and then it's done. True repentance requires change. It is a lifestyle, an attitude, a discipline. It is sometimes done everyday until true change occurs. True repentance happens in the heart.
James 5:20

Is it any wonder why Christ said we must forgive or brethren 70x7? How many times do we as Christians mess up and have to repent again? How many times does God have to forgive us and sometimes repeatedly for the same thing over and over again?
Matthew 18:21-22

Change in sinful thought patterns and behaviors

As we are washed by the Word of God, our minds begin to be renewed. We begin to think differently. We begin to hate sin. Our conversation changes and becomes cleaner. We begin to control our temper more, and begin to reflect the love of Jesus.
Romans 12:1-3

We know from previous studies that if you want your faith to be increased, it is done through hearing the Word of God and prayer.
Romans 10:17

Change in heart and attitudes towards sin

God is the one who changes out heart so that we desire to live for him. Our faith and salvation are gifts from God. Let's not take them for granted.
Ezekiel 11:19-20

Here is a link to the song, Change My Heart Oh God, on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/IlSmG-_eJTU

In closing, Next week I would like to start studying the fruits of the spirit. In order to experience these fruits, we must have true repentance. Our hearts have to be right with God. Are there any of these components of true repentance that you need to deal with? Ask God for help with that today. Let's get our hearts ready to produce the fruits of the Spirit.
Galatians 5:22-25

Resources
Jesus is my permanent anchor!
A signature for me to use
"I am a Rising Star!" glass image.

© Copyright 2021 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012061-True-Repentance