*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012925-Bruised-and-Battered
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2232903
My blog, where I store those thoughts rattling around my brain
#1012925 added July 2, 2021 at 3:24pm
Restrictions: None
Bruised and Battered
Skateboarding is a complicated experience.

For my birthday, a friend of mine bought me an impressive-looking board in the hopes that I would join in on his hobby. It would be rude to dismiss such a gift, so I agreed. While the prospect of zipping around concrete streets and performing reckless stunts always made me feel a bit hesitant, I was moderately experienced in snowboarding.

Snowboarding is such a delight and I made sure to take full advantage of the season this year. Who knows how long we'll have snow?

But skateboarding... that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

My sense of balance was better than I expected but the intricacies of controlling this foreign vehicle were something I have yet to understand. Foot placement and reflexes are king. And a healthy amount of recklessness/confidence is necessary. But despite the goading of my friends, I could do little except practice riding around and not falling off.

Getting old doesn't help either.

I'm a bit of an odd duck, born in that strange era where two generations overlap. I can mingle with people older than me but still relate to the younger crowd. Walking between these worlds is a bit surreal at times. You feel more mature and outdated with the Gen Z kids but are a bit too frivolous and inexperienced among the Gen Xers.

This duality can make it hard for me to get excited about things my friends do. Is it merely the cynicism of adulthood or the knowledge of previous experiences?

I think that's why it can be hard to learn new things as you age. All the information you've attained can be detrimental compared to a young fresh slate. So much to unlearn before you can soak in new skills.

As for me, I'm going to be practicing my ollies and discovering some painful lessons. Wish me luck!




© Copyright 2021 Ray Scrivener (UN: rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ray Scrivener has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012925-Bruised-and-Battered