*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013105-Fourth-of-July-late
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #2161749
Just shooting the poop with Lori
#1013105 added July 5, 2021 at 2:26pm
Restrictions: None
Fourth of July late
Happy 5th of July! Haha...Got you. Seriously, the holiday was over before I knew I was enjoying it. Working every other night all week has left me a bit dizzy. I was actually off for the fourth, but was pretty tired. I did get to enjoy bar-b-que, family, and fireworks, just in small increments. This is one of my favorite holidays. I love playing outdoor games and being around loved ones. Everyone is so eager about their summer plans and this year it seems as if everyone was just caught up in being able to be together again. You know what they say...you don't miss it until it is gone. COVID taught us that lesson well.
I was caught remembering the 4ths when my kids were little. Our entire family loved fireworks, so it was a tradition to hike to the nearest show. However, my daughter absolutely hated them since 6 months old. She would scream and cry the entire time until the age of ten.There were a few years one of us just stayed at home with her. We tried headphones, earplugs,music in the car, and any other option. She always wanted to go to the park when we went and would beg to go. But she would crouch in fear and pain when the fireworks started, leaving me to feel like the worst parent on earth and ducking the crowd to get her home. The funny part is our dogs have never been overly sensitive to the noise of the booms or the bright lights. This child has incredibly intense hearing and it was always the noise that hurt her ears. Well she is an adult now and still hates fireworks. She is also an incredible vocalist and musician. I somehow think the two are related, because she can hear a June bug buzzing from 100 paces or pick out a musical note from any sonata. This kid could tell which parent was walking in the door first by the way we rattled our keys. She knows which car I am in by the sound of the blinker if I am on the phone with her.There was never any sneaking Christmas presents in the door if she were home, one of us had to take her somewhere else before we could bring them in. And no last minute wrapping was done at our house because she could hear the paper crinkling and the scissors snipping. They were frustrating times but great times. Learning to outwit your children is an important tool for all parents.

© Copyright 2021 L.A. Grawitch (UN: lgrawitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
L.A. Grawitch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013105-Fourth-of-July-late