*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013272-Fortunately
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1013272 added July 8, 2021 at 12:02am
Restrictions: None
Fortunately
Well, I made it home. In an amazing stroke of (further) luck, every flight -- there were three of them -- was on time or ahead of schedule. I seriously need sleep, but I figured at least I could stay up long enough to get today's blog entry in.

And what better way to commemorate a trip cut short by the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune than to do some entries for "JAFBG [XGC]?

I don't know if I'll do every prompt; there are 20 of them in the current batch. But, true to my usual methods, I selected one at random for today. Here it is:

What's stopping you from helping those less fortunate than yourself?


Almost everyone is less fortunate than myself, so I guess... the sheer magnitude of the contemplation thereof?

"But Waltz, your car just got ungulated into oblivion; how can you say you're fortunate?"

Glad you asked. As I noted a couple of entries ago, shit happens. Life, I think, isn't about the shit that happens to you, but about what you do in response. Into each life, some shit must fall -- to misquote the old song -- and it helps to be prepared and keep your head about you when it does. And I was prepared, and lucky -- another word for "fortunate."

To get back to the prompt, though (I mostly did that aside so I could show off my new verb), I know I've talked about this sort of thing before; that is, the concept of charity, or alms, or aid to the needy (however "need" may be defined). And I've said I don't like to talk about it, because I always feel like I'm boasting or virtue-signaling or putting some sort of good-deeds trophy on metaphorical display.

Not that I haven't talked about it, which is how I know I don't like talking about it (unlike talking about my occasional linguistic brilliance). So for the purposes of this entry, let's just assume I'm a self-centered prick who doesn't give a fuck.

I've also noted before -- probably in the same entry -- that there are causes I won't donate to, such as anything with the word "Family" in the name, or any group that tries to guilt me into giving at a checkout counter. Even assuming that some of those groups do some actual good in the world, which they might, what's stopping me is their tactics -- hiding behind the supposed welfare of children, or attempting to shame me if I don't say "yes" when some checkout person asks if I want to donate a dollar to the Give Some Kid A Hot Lunch fund or whatever.

Incidentally, I know it's probably just as uncomfortable for the cashier to keep asking that. Probably even more so. It's not their fault; they have to ask or risk losing their job. I'm sure some of them wish someone would start a fund to help them out.

And don't get me started on Girl Scout cookies. Actually, no, this is a JAFBG entry so go ahead, get me started on them. I have no issue with the Girl Scouts in general. But one day, walking on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, I came upon their headquarters. Like I said, it's on freaking Fifth Avenue, in midtown, not too awfully far from the Empire State Building. Not exactly cheap real estate. No, it's the polar opposite of cheap real estate. I'm pretty sure they could build an underwater habitat dome for their headquarters, and it would cost less than a skyscraper in goddamn midtown Manhattan.

The point being that they already have money, and pressuring family, friends, and people trying to get groceries to cough up five bucks a pop (or whatever the street value of those drugs are these days) is like making the US military hold a bake sale to finance their next battleship.

Which actually sounds like a good idea.

Anyway.

Yeah, I know I'm talking specifically about monetary donations, but the same sort of thing applies to donations of time/labor. For instance, I'd hate to volunteer for something only to find out that the board of the foundation, or whatever, is getting paid six figures or more for their "efforts."

So I guess the real response here, for me, is that I have to be sure it's something I'd consider a worthy cause. Not just the cause, though, but their structure and methods. If I feel like it's a scam, by my own reckoning, then that will keep me from helping them. No, I'd rather help the needy directly -- assuming that I, the self-centered prick as described above, would even want to -- than funnel it through a group that skims half the donations off the top.

© Copyright 2021 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1013272-Fortunately