*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1015925-Stand-Up-Comic
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1015925 added August 21, 2021 at 12:03am
Restrictions: None
Stand-Up Comic
Before I post a link today, I wanted to follow up on yesterday's drink menu. My friend said I should go ahead and post the Lower Drunks recipe, so here it is, along with the modification I made because I couldn't be arsed to make a simple syrup.

The original Lower Drunks:

3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz simple syrup
1 1/2 oz absinthe

Shake with ice. Strain into large martini glass (or rocks glass if necessary). Top with tonic water.

The tonic water is a bit surprising here, but it actually works to cut the overwhelming anise flavor of the absinthe. If you're trying to impress someone, garnish with a curl of lemon peel. Otherwise, who needs a garnish?

Incidentally, a simple syrup is just that: simple. You take equal measures of water and sugar (say, 1 cup each, depending on how much you want to make) and heat it up, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Let it cool. You can store excess (in a closed container) for the next bar session. That's still too much work for me if I'm just trying to drink.

Fortunately, I had some pre-packaged lemon simple syrup, so I just used that instead of syrup + lemon, though I did splash in a bit of lemon juice. That's the modification. It was completely delicious.

Next: we have come up with a recipe (well, mostly she did) for Klingon bloodwine. I will need to replicate her scientific results prior to publishing, though. I must acquire a few ingredients first, and also get off my ass to heat up some sugar water. Stay tuned.

You might have noticed I'm using a different font than usual. There's a reason for that. (Cracked link)



You've heard of using Comic Sans on a resume at your own risk, as it has been deemed inappropriate on so many levels of the "professional" world. Meanwhile, Helvetica is hanging out in the back, laughing in its most pretentious manner. The very thought of selecting this font is often demonized? Even its inventor has admitted that he has only ever used it once -- in a friendly email asking for a refund (and it managed to get his money back). So before you hate, please appreciate that Comic Sans has done some good for someone in this world already.

There used to be a saying circulating around the internet: "There is great need for a sarcasm font." I have pointed out that Comic Sans would fit the bill. No one wants to hear it. It never caught on.

To make the message more fun, he suggested the creation of a new font, one that would mimic the lettering found in comic books rather than a British newspaper.

For the record, British comics use similar lettering to those created in the US. They just spell some shit wrong.

After hitting the general public, bizarrely passionate Comic Sans haters started to make themselves known.

It always struck me as silly that a bunch of people who, mere years before, had no idea what a "font" was, suddenly had Opinions.

He states that he is proud of his work and although the rules of typography have been broken by Connare, one being that the letters don't mirror each other, such as "p" and "q," the manner in which the letters appear have been proven to make it easier for people with reading difficulties. The spacing of the letters allows for a smoother viewing experience, particularly for those with dyslexia.

There you go. A good reason to use comic sans. Or are you going to keep being ableist?

There is a time and a place for Comic Sans, and it usually lies somewhere in between a promotional spring clothing sale banner and a child's bouncy house birthday party.

And, I maintain, for the purposes of conveying sarcasm in a medium that doesn't lend itself to the peculiar vocal tones of sarcasm.

(Note: I don't think WDC uses true Comic Sans, probably because Microsoft has armies of lawyers to rival Disney's. But this is close enough.)

© Copyright 2021 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1015925-Stand-Up-Comic