*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017931-Lightbulb-Moments
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2232903
My blog, where I store those thoughts rattling around my brain
#1017931 added September 23, 2021 at 2:57pm
Restrictions: None
Lightbulb Moments
How far do you go when it comes to researching a story?

I find that taking the time to craft some foundation or add some hidden details really helps the creative process. You might stumble across a bizarre tidbit that becomes a plot point. You might find a new direction to take the narrative, or add some realism. Hell, just adding some flavor can take a generic outline to a whole 'nother level.

Yesterday I was trying to find a word in an ancient language. It was a bit tricky, seeing as not many places hold information on Assyrian. I had to crawl through a 300 page PDF to find what I was looking for. But the journey gave me time to think and stew over the story I was working on, giving me a great idea.

I love it when it all comes together. When people read it, I'll go 'yeah I meant to do that the whole time'. Was it the Muse? Or just plain luck? Who knows.

The only thing to do is to keep moving forward and try to recreate that moment once more.

© Copyright 2021 Ray Scrivener (UN: rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ray Scrivener has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017931-Lightbulb-Moments