*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020990
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1020990 added November 6, 2021 at 12:45pm
Restrictions: None
2021110502
William Cecil approached the locked door, and rapped on it firmly. A small hatch opened and when he'd identified himself the door was unlocked and opened. The gaoler was a middle aged Knight, Sir Toby Stanther. Cecil judged him to be an honest decent man, and knew him to have been trustworthy in his role.

Dafydd was being kept alone in a windowless room. The place had the stench of fear, and Cecil wrinkled his nose in disgust. The young man was laid on the cold floor, and chained, though it was obvious that he could not escape even if released from them. His legs were roughly wrapped in bandages that were heavily stained with blood.

Dafydd's eyes were red and his face covered with smears that told Cecil he'd been crying. Their interview took over an hour, with Cecil patiently questioning the man, and building a clear picture in his own mind of the hours before the attempted rape.

When Dafydd had shown any signs of not cooperating Cecil threatened him with torture and Dafydd had quickly capitulated, though mainly he seemed wretched and deeply ashamed of his actions. He wondered aloud if Boudica would ever forgive him, but Cecil could give no answer to that question.

Having meticulously written down Dafydd's narrative, Cecil made to leave.

"Please?"

"Yes? What is it?"

"W.What will happen to me?"

William Cecil bowed his head, he had quite liked the young man before this, and could clearly see that he'd been manipulated and used. He opted for honesty.

"I am afraid I think it highly likely that Council will recommend that you be executed Dafydd,"

He left quickly, finding the young man's distress deeply uncomfortable.

Cecil gave instructions to Sir Stanther that Dafydd's wounds should be cleaned and dressed properly. He also instructed that the man should be moved to a better room, and his chains removed. Finally he cautioned the gaoler that he should keep a very careful watch on Dafydd, to ensure that no 'accidents' happened before his fate was decided.

Sir Stanther expressed surprise and enquired politely but somewhat coldly, what Cecil was suggesting. Cecil quickly assured Sir Stanther that no slur was intended on his character, and explained that he felt certain parties might feel it expedient for Dafydd to die. At this Sir Stanther quickly agreed to keep Morus close, and carefully watched. Cecil was satisfied, and left the gaol thoughfully, pondering what he had learned.



-------

The Council had assembled in what was called 'The Outer Pavilion', which was generally where meetings that did not require participation on an astral level took place. The first point of business raised was how David Morus should be punished.

Boudica sat at the head of a long table, with William Cecil on one side, and Morwenna Llewellyn on the other.

"Before we discuss that," she said, looking around at the Council members in turn, slightly frightened, but showing nothing of this. "I wish to reward Bridget Sommers by making her the Duchess of Shrewsbury."

"A Duchess?" There was incredulity in Morwenna's voice.

Boudica had in fact consulted Cecil about her intentions prior to the meeting. He assured her that since Boudica owned the several lands in Shropshire and neighbouring Worcestershire that she intended to give to Bridget, there was nothing to prevent her as Queen creating such a title supported by that gift. Council would have to grant its approve for this.

"I think in view of the service she has done for my daughter, that Bridget is deserving of at least one title."

Boudica looked gratefully at Katherine, but her mother's next pronouncement startled her.

"Indeed it is my intention to give Bridget several parcels of the lands I own in Munster which carry the title Countess Waterford with them."

Seeing Cecil's slight smile, Boudica gathered that he had been aware of this proposal as well as her own.

Morwenna seemed to decide that this was not a battle she could win, nor would it prosper her to try, so instead she gave in gracefully, even going so far as to offer some land in the Marches to join with Boudica's gift.

Bridget knew nothing of this, and Boudica could hardly wait to see her face when she was told.

Before that pleasure though, there was Dafydd to discuss. The Llewellyns were particularly keen to have their kinsman executed, in the most horrific manner that could be devised. Boudica couldn't work out if this was to distance themselves from him or because they just didn't like him and wanted rid of him.

Pawl, who had been seen to drink with Dafydd during the evening seemed to blame himself for not watching over his companion. Dafydd had disappeared whilst Pawl was answering a call of nature, and Pawl assumed that he'd gone off to sleep somewhere.

To Boudica's dismay the majority of the Council seemed to think that execution was appropriate. Boudica knew that she had final say, but felt deeply miserable at the idea of sentencing a childhood friend to death. Dafydd's actions had seemed so out of character, so very unpleasant. It was almost as if he'd been someone else. Eventually, worn down by the arguments she agreed that he should be executed. She refused absolutely to countenance any torture and insisted that it be quick.

A Death Warrant would be drawn up and require her signature before any sentence could be carried out.

Word count: 907
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020990