*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021221-Flight-of-Fancy
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2232903
My blog, where I store those thoughts rattling around my brain
#1021221 added November 9, 2021 at 11:01am
Restrictions: None
Flight of Fancy
Last night, I dreamed I was a dragon.

My roars shook the forest mountains, sending flocks of indigo birds scattering from perches, darkening the skies as those feathery clouds chased my echoes over the misty valley. I rumbled in amusement, satisfied with my declaration of strength. These lands were my kingdom. This cave was my den.

When I hungered, my powerful wings thundered in the air as I prowled in search of wild boar or shaggy bears. No creature could withstand these mighty claws. I swooped down and snatched my prey, bringing it to a grassy knoll large enough for me to feast. When my belly was full, I slept contently among the weeds.

On rainy nights, I soared above the thunder as lighting crackled in the fog below me, hazy flashes glinting off my emerald hide. Lizard irises turned to the heavens, delighting in the radiance of the diamond carpet blanketing my celestial vault. Fire rumbled in my belly. I closed scaly eyes as magma erupted from my snout, flames billowing into the chilly atmosphere.

I had want for nothing.

And yet, a strange compulsion itched at me. A desire to have diamonds of my own, jewels to admire within the comforts of this den. Why should I wait till nightfall to bask in that glittering display? Dragons should not have to bide their time. I was proud and strong.

Fall changed the forest colors on my mountain, transforming the broken jade peak into a flaming tower. Flapping my powerful wings, I rustled the burning trees as I swept towards the valley, scattering orange and yellow sparks in my wake.

The castle lay in the center, shrouded by fog. I roared, jaws blazing. An inferno ruptured the misty curtain, veil parting before me as I neared the stony fortress. Beside the gates, two armored guards drew swords and shouted at me in a tinny language.

I answered with my scorching breath.

A boulder flew over the walls and smacked my snout. Pain blossoming over my eyes, I shook my wings and rose into the sky. My belly rumbled in fury. I dove down and unleashed another torrent of dragon-fire.

The catapult exploded, metal and wood flying around the castle square as soldiers fled in panic. I roared again and swiped my tail across the battlements, crushing men with savage delight as I exacted revenge. Claws scarred the foundations, shattering granite, powdering mortar as I reached the golden storeroom beneath.

Grasping the treasure, I raised my head to declare victory and-

I woke up.

My head was killing me, throat raspy, tongue dry... "Water," I gasped as I crawled out of bed in search of crystal nectar. Staggering to the kitchen, I poured myself a glass and downed the life-saving liquid almost instantly.

"Ah," I sighed and wiped my mouth.

My nose wrinkled.

"Good god," I wheezed. "That's some terrible dragon breath."



30 Day Blog Challenge Day 9: You are having a very realistic dream. In this dream, you are approaching a castle. What unusual reason do you have to be at this castle? What do you say to the two guards standing outside it to gain entrance?




© Copyright 2021 Ray Scrivener (UN: rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ray Scrivener has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021221-Flight-of-Fancy