*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021691
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1021691 added November 15, 2021 at 3:33pm
Restrictions: None
20211107
The Ottoman Princes and their retinue rode into the castle mid morning, during a snowfall. They wore long thick coats, lined with furs, and seemed in good humour, as there was much laughter about the snow and how it settled on them and their mounts.

William Cecil and Brian Peters were ready to welcome them, and they escorted the visitors in to the Outer Pavilion, where they could meet Boudica and the other members of Council. They passed through the Great Hall, where several fires were lit, and there was the smell of food being prepared.

An Ottoman interpreter introduced Prince Bayezid and his younger brother Prince Selim. Bayezid strode forwards confidently. As he spoke, his interpreter translated.

"I bring you greetings from my father, Sultan Suleiman. He wishes me to convey his deepest commiserations on the death of your Queen Mary. "

"We thank your father for those commiserations." said Boudica.

The Ottoman translator had just begun to speak, when Brian Peters stepped forwards, and spoke in Ottoman Turkish.

"Her Majesty Queen Boudica thanks your father for his commiserations."

Bayezid seemed impressed.

"I had heard that yours was a learned Court and I am most pleased to find that it is true."

He turned to Boudica and bowed. The other Ottomans followed his lead.

"Your Majesty. I find then I am too late, although we sailed immediately upon hearing of your step-sister's unfortunate demise."

As this was translated, Boudica and several others looked puzzled.

"May we enquire as to the purpose of your haste Prince Bayezid?"

Boudica studied the man as Brian Peters conveyed her question. She knew from Cecil's earlier briefing, that he was 28 and his father's eldest living son. Apparently this did not automatically make him the heir, and Cecil's brief outline of the murderous route to becoming Sultan had chilled her.

She listened to Bayezid's response. He was dark skinned, with a thick beard, and when she looked at his eyes, that were dark brown, she found that he was studying her as closely as she was him. She felt her cheeks redden, but deliberately maintained eye contact rather than look away as if she were guilty of some nameless crime in examining him. He had the audacity to grin at her, but before she could respond, the translation of his words reached her.

"I wished to take the challenge of the Mindwalk Pavilion, but now I find that you have already done so and succeeded. Now you are protected by the three years grace extended to each new Monarch."

There were several gasps of surprise from those present.

"You seem uncommonly familiar with the method of our succession, and you are correct that her Majesty may not be challenged at this time." Said William Cecil.

"You wished to take the challenge of the Mindwalk Pavilion?" Morwenna was so surprised by this that she ignored protocol, not waiting for Boudica to respond.

"Indeed yes. It is my understanding that by this means you select the one most able to rule over you. Nowhere is it stipulated that only those who are from Albion can take the challenge."

All were now staring at him. Boudica turned to look at Brian Peters, who knew more even than William Cecil about the Mindwalk Pavilion.

"That is technically true, though you must know that Council may exercise some control as to when an individual takes the challenge."

Boudica then asked,

"Do you have the ability to enter the Mindwalk? Again she looked at Brian Peters,

"Can he do that?? Can someone who is not a Celt enter?"

Boudica froze as she heard Bayezid's answer inside her head,

"I am not without ability." He spoke in perfect Latin, one of the several languages Boudica was fluent in.

Brian Peters replied verbally,

"It is psychic ability that determines if one can enter. It is not a matter of where you are born, or into which people.

Boudica's green eyes were wide with surprise. Bayezid was telepathic, this was a very rare talent, and even on Council, almost no one had that ability. The man was grinning again, obviously at seeing her shock. She carefully adopted a neutral expression.

"I think that we need to think about this. In the meantime, you must be weary from your journey. Some chambers have been prepared for your use, perhaps you would join us when you have rested."

"Thank you Your Majesty. We will retire as you suggest, and I look forwards to the pleasure of your company later."



-------


Boudica was thinking hard. Telepathy was not mind-reading, it was a communication, and could be a one way communication at that. It required an act of intention to send a message to someone. As far as she knew, no one could enter your mind and take information. She had made no response, so Bayezid could not be certain, but would perhaps imagine that she could not reply. Brian Peters had taught her to be very careful not to reveal any of her abilities without considering the possible and probable consequences first.

The fact of the Ottoman princes being here at all was highly unusual. Council usually received ambassadors or simple message bearers. A visit from a foreign ruler, though very uncommon, was ordinarily arranged beforehand between the Celts and whichever country or Consulate was involved. That the Ottoman's had suddenly decided to sail to Albion and take a Challenge to rule was astonishing. Boudica couldn't even think why that would be allowed.

Pondering it more she realised that because the religion of Mithras did not allow the use of psychic powers, (and those who transgressed would be likely to end up hung as a witch), there had been little likelihood of a challenger arising from that quarter. Until now the Ottomans had been too far away to consider a threat in that respect, but it still made no sense to allow a foreign challenger at all.

She wondered if it was a case of 'Blue green dragons can take the challenge, because so far no Blue green dragon has ever asked to'. If so then Council should move quickly to close that loophole. She speculated if it was possible to take the challenge without Council's approval. Following that train of thought, she questioned whether it was possible for someone to take the challenge during the three year grace period, which after all was just a convention.

Word Count: 1,071
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021691