*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021810
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1021810 added November 17, 2021 at 1:05pm
Restrictions: None
2021111701
Iliaster had not seen the Mithraic Temple in Rome before. As he approached, all that was visible from the outside of the Mithraeum was the long curve of the roof, for the Place of Mithras was mainly constructed underground. Despite this seeming contradiction, for a religion based upon light, it made great sense. In the darkness of a subterranean Temple the awareness of the illumination was heightened, and could be controlled for greater impact.

As always the building was aligned with the rising and setting sun, East - West. Iliaster entered from the West into a stone built anteroom. This place of preparations was long and thin, and the the ceiling some twelve feet above formed a near perfect circular arch. Iliaster was given a plain white robe, marked only with the symbol of his current rank. This matched the circled cross that Iliaster bore on his forehead. It had been tattooed there several years earlier when he had first risen to the rank of Miles.

Now he was to rise to the rank of Leo, to which was ascribed the element of Fire. As he waited for the priests in the Main Hall to be ready for him, Iliaster studied the walls either side of the entrance.

As was common, the open doorway to the main hall was flanked by depictions of the Torch Bearers. Cautes, on the left, was depicted dressed as in bright yellow, standing next to a tree in the full bloom of spring. His torch was held upright. On the right Cautopates, clad in blue and grey, stood next to a tree in full fruit. His torch was held downwards, symbolising the decline of the Sun as it moved towards the winter solstice. Like his counterpart, he held a small bow in his free hand.

Iliaster wondered if Bruno had considered the possible significance of fire playing a major role in him coming to the Helidromus' attention at all. It had seemed unlikely to Iliaster that he would have ever risen to the senior ranks of the church. Now it seemed it was in order that he should have access to the Index, but he was not such a fool that he could see the Pater Patrum could have authorised that with a word. So this was a part of the age old method of manipulation that might be summarised as 'pleasure or pain'.

Bruno had emphasized at their first meeting that he would have Iliaster tortured to death if he did not cooperate. That would not be forgotten. Iliaster would try to do what the Heliodromus commanded, because not to do so would be suicidal. He was not however going to be taken in by titles and rewards. All he wanted was to be left alone, and not to have to worry that some chance exposure of his talents would lead to his death.

His thoughts were hardly appropriate to an initiate, but this did not trouble him. Iliaster would accept the role of Leo, and he would study. Maybe he would find something he himself could use.

He could smell the olive oil lamps burning, then he caught a waft of incense, sweet and heavy.

""We are ready for you Aspirant."

In the doorway stood two priests, their heads completely hidden by the lion masks appropriate to their grade. They turned and led the way, swinging thuribles as they censed his path. Iliaster followed them, remembering to genuflect to the statue of Mithras in the process of being born from stone. In his right hand he was holding the knife that he would later use to slay the bull. His left hand held a globe, signifying his dominion over the world.

Iliaster made his way past the praesepia, long high benches on which reclined the congregation. Many were masked, and he passed crows, bridal veils and lions. At the far end, in front of the altar, waited Bruno, whose mask was a seven rayed nimbus representing the Sun. He carried a riding crop and held a lit torch in his right hand. Next to him was, Iliaster presumed having never seen him before, Pater Archinto. He was holding both a staff, and a sickle, on his head he wore a red Phrygian cap.

Behind the altar, Iliaster saw a painted relief showing the Tauroctony. Mithras wearing a Phrygian cap, knelt on a white bull, that he had hunted and ridden to exhaustion, before trapping it in a cave. With his left hand, he held it fast by the nostrils. The relief showed him slashing the bull's throat with a knife held in his right hand. As he slaughtered the bull, Mithras looked over his shoulder towards the figure of Sol. Above the altar several beams of wood have been arranged to form a seven rayed sun.

The Leos spoke in unison,

"Receive the incense burners, Pater, receive the Lions, Holy One, through whom we offer incense, through whom we offer ourselves consumed."

Then they set down their thuribles. One picked draped a cloth over his arm, and picked up a bowl, and a jug. Approaching Iliaster, he held out the bowl. Iliaster held his hands above the it, and the Leo poured thin clear honey over them as Iliaster washed them. Water was not used, as it was inimical to Fire.

"You shall keep yourself pure. Separate yourself from all that is impure. All that is distressing. All that is harmful. All that is loathsome. From all these things I do exhort you to keep yourself pure."

Iliaster responded as he had been instructed,

"I shall keep myself pure."

The Leo passed him the white cloth to wipe his hands. Iliaster did not like how they felt, as sticky residue remained despite his best efforts.

Handing back the cloth, he opened his mouth and stuck out his tongue. From the jug, the Leo took a spoon of the honey and let it drip onto the tongue.

"Purify your tongue. Speak no ill. Tell no lies. Speak not of the mysteries."

"I purify my tongue."

The second Leo now stepped forwards. He held a red robe, decorated with flames and embroidered with the symbol of Jupiter. Iliaster removed his white robe, and the Leo helped him into the new one.

Now he approached the altar, and Bruno presented him with a magnificent Lion mask with a resplendent mane. This he placed over his head, he was relieved to find that he could still see clearly.

Now he turned to face Pater Archinto. He was holding a fire shovel, and a sistrum which had a metal handle, cast as a thunderbolt. These symbols of the rank of Leo were conferred on Iliaster in turn. Archinto offered Iliaster his ring, and Iliaster knelt briefly and kissed it. As he rose, Archinto turned him to face down the Temple, and Iliaster growled, and then roared. The congregation applauded their newest Leo.

His first task in the new role was to walk the length of the Temple again, this time to collect the loaves and jugs of wine for the sacred meal. He distributed them along the low table that ran the length of the Temple, before finally taking a place that had been saved for him. In the recess behind him was depicted he lion headed god, a human figure with a lions head, his body bound tightly with a snake, whose head rests atop the lion's mane.

Iliaster gazed up at the azure ceiling, marked out and decorated with many precious gems that showed the constellations of the night sky.

Tomorrow, he thought, I shall enter the forbidden library.


Word Count 1,273
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021810